* September Gnus 0.59 is released
@ 1996-03-27  6:03 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-03-27  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bug fixes.

Get it from <URL:http://www.ifi.uio.no/~larsi/sgnus.tar.gz> or
"ftp.ifi.uio.no:/pub/emacs/gnus/".

ChangeLog since last release:

Wed Mar 27 05:06:16 1996  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen  <larsi@hler.ifi.uio.no>

	* message.el (message-remove-header): Allow reverse removal.
	(message-news-p): Narrow to headers first.
	(message-checksum): New function.
	(message-check-news-syntax): Check for new text.
	(message-check-news-syntax): Do more checking.
	(message-check-news-syntax): Deny posting of articles with empty
	Subject lines or mangled From headers.
	(message-generate-headers): Didn't treat optional headers
	properly.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* multiple pop servers?
@ 1996-03-29  1:27 ` Mark Eichin
From: Mark Eichin @ 1996-03-29  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a straightforward way to use multiple pop servers with sgnus?
I've got some hacks I used to use with RMAIL to make the environment
local to the particular RMAIL buffer, so that MAILHOST pointed to the
right directory. It isn't clear that there's a good choice of buffer
to tie things to (unless perhaps the *Group* buffer? if I use a
seperate .newsrc for that server, would that work?) and I grant this
is perhaps an unusual problem... just looking for suggestions, really.
					_Mark_ <eichin@cygnus.com>
					Cygnus Support, Eastern USA

* topics with no articles
@ 1996-03-29  1:38 ` Mark Eichin
From: Mark Eichin @ 1996-03-29  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

feature request -- some way to make topics "conditionally visible", in
particular, to make a topic default to "closed" if it has no unread
articles in it (though SPC/RET should still toggle it... yeah, I want
everything :-)

* Re: multiple pop servers?
@ 1996-03-29  5:49   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-03-29  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Eichin <eichin@cygnus.com> writes:

> Is there a straightforward way to use multiple pop servers with
> sgnus?  I've got some hacks I used to use with RMAIL to make the
> environment local to the particular RMAIL buffer, so that MAILHOST
> pointed to the right directory.

I don't think there's any easy way to do this.  Hmn.  If a function
were to be run once for each spool file, then you could specify a
whole bunch of "po:whatever" files in `nnmail-spool-file', and then
check the names of the spool files and set MAILHOST for each pop
file.  Or something like that.

For instance, I could add a `nnmail-move-inbox-hook' that would be run
before fetching `inbox'.  Would that do the trick?

@ 1996-03-29  7:54     ` Mark Eichin
From: Mark Eichin @ 1996-03-29  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> whole bunch of "po:whatever" files in `nnmail-spool-file', and then
> check the names of the spool files and set MAILHOST for each pop

Hmm, that'd work, I'd just have it set to
	'("po:me/server1/file1" "po:me/server2/file2")
and then pick those apart to set MAILHOST and the real spool name and
the local name (or would the localname already be handled?)...

> For instance, I could add a `nnmail-move-inbox-hook' that would be run
> before fetching `inbox'.  Would that do the trick?

I'm not quite clear how this would work. Where would it be called
from? I can look at that and see if I can come up with a hook I could
use...

* Re: multiple pop servers?
@ 1996-03-29  8:00       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-03-29  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Eichin <eichin@cygnus.com> writes:

> > For instance, I could add a `nnmail-move-inbox-hook' that would be run
> > before fetching `inbox'.  Would that do the trick?
>
> I'm not quite clear how this would work. Where would it be called
> from? I can look at that and see if I can come up with a hook I could
> use...

It would be called early in `nnmail-move-inbox'.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: topics with no articles
@ 1996-03-29 16:11   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-03-29 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Eichin <eichin@cygnus.com> writes:

> feature request -- some way to make topics "conditionally visible", in
> particular, to make a topic default to "closed" if it has no unread
> articles in it

Topics that have no unread articles don't have groups listed under
them.  But you don't want the topics listed at all if they don't have
unread articles?  That's on the Red Gnus todo list.

* Re: multiple pop servers?
@ 1996-04-11 23:41   ` Paul Franklin
From: Paul Franklin @ 1996-04-11 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

 > Is there a straightforward way to use multiple pop servers with
 > sgnus?

It isn't hard to modify movemail so you could specify something like
	po:remoteuser@hostname
Movemail supplies the local user name automatically.  (Well, it does
for me, since I'm using RPOP authentication.  I don't know how other
authentication mechanisms work.)

--Paul

* Re: multiple pop servers?
@ 1996-04-12  2:44     ` William Perry
From: William Perry @ 1996-04-12  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Mark Eichin, ding

Paul Franklin writes:

>  > Is there a straightforward way to use multiple pop servers with
>  > sgnus?
>
> It isn't hard to modify movemail so you could specify something like
> 	po:remoteuser@hostname
> Movemail supplies the local user name automatically.  (Well, it does
> for me, since I'm using RPOP authentication.  I don't know how other
> authentication mechanisms work.)

  There should really be a 'pop' backend... could rip code straight out of
VM, or I could revamp my old pop.el script and donate it in.  But I've got
my hands full with Emacs-W3 right now, and possible contract work, and a
real job, and a 1 year birthday party to plan for my son.

  Sheesh, I feel like jwz - 'Sleep is the enemy, it must be eliminated'. :)

-Bill P.