* How to show dormant articles?
@ 1996-01-26 10:54 John Griffith
From: John Griffith @ 1996-01-26 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: griffith

Using Gnus v0.30 and XEamcs 19.13, the reference card says that "M D"
should show me dormant articles in the summary buffer.  However, it
does exactly the same as "M d", ie. gnus-summary-mark-as-read-forward.

I can get *some* of them by doing "C-u Z R" from the summary to show
all articles but not all that are in my cache.  Perhaps I only get the
ones that are still on the server.

Is this the desired functionality?

If so how can I view the other, older articles which were marked as
dormant?

-- John

* Re: How to show dormant articles?
@ 1996-01-26 15:44 ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1996-01-26 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

JG> If so how can I view the other, older articles which were marked as
JG> dormant?

If the articles are disappearing because they are no longer on the spool,
you might want to look into gnus-use-cache which will cache articles
locally, so that they never disappear.  Articles marked dormant (?) and
ticked (?) will be cached and you will be able to look at them later.

I found that cache'ing also stored articles on my mail groups, so I've got
my summary mode hook set up to turn on cache'ing only for my nntp groups.

--
Jack Vinson                   The Purple Puddle Eater and Captain Jack
jvinson@cheux.ecs.umass.edu   <http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~vinson/home.html>

* Re: How to show dormant articles?
@ 1996-01-26 16:28   ` John Griffith
From: John Griffith @ 1996-01-26 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: griffith

Jack Vinson writes:

>If the articles are disappearing because they are no longer on the spool,
>you might want to look into gnus-use-cache which will cache articles
>locally, so that they never disappear.

Unfortunately this isn't the problem.  I should have specified that:

gnus-use-cache's value is t,
gnus-cache-remove-articles's value is (read), and
gnus-cache-enter-articles's value is (ticked dormant).

The old articles *are* in my cache but they just don't get shown.

>I found that cache'ing also stored articles on my mail groups, so I've got
>my summary mode hook set up to turn on cache'ing only for my nntp groups.

Good idea.

@ 1996-01-27 20:32 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-01-27 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Griffith <griffith@sfs.nphil.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> Using Gnus v0.30 and XEamcs 19.13, the reference card says that "M D"
> should show me dormant articles in the summary buffer.  However, it
> does exactly the same as "M d", ie. gnus-summary-mark-as-read-forward.

That command has moved to `/ D' to join the other limit/unlimit
commands in the `/' submap.

* Re: How to show dormant articles?
@ 1996-01-29 13:54   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-01-29 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Jack> I found that cache'ing also stored articles on my mail groups,
  Jack> so I've got my summary mode hook set up to turn on cache'ing
  Jack> only for my nntp groups.

(setq gnus-uncacheable-groups "^nn\\(virtual\\|ml\\)")

Very useful!  Especially the fact that these contain the method...

        kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.