* Signature in forwarded messages
@ 1995-11-28 17:09 Sten Drescher
From: Sten Drescher @ 1995-11-28 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

	In Gnus 5.0.10, when I use gnus-summary-mail-forward or
gnus-uu-digest-mail-forward (I don't know about other -forward
commands), my signature file is put at the _beginning_ of the message.
Even if this isn't broken, I'd still like the signature to be at the end
of the message.  How can I make this happen?

		Sten

--
#include <disclaimer.h>				/* Sten Drescher */
To get my PGP public key, send me email with your public key and

* Re: Signature in forwarded messages
@ 1995-11-29  2:54 ` Steven L. Baur
From: Steven L. Baur @ 1995-11-29  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars, may I respectfully request that you put the magic ``Start of''
string into a variable so that it doesn't have to be copied by hand as
below?

    Sten> 	In Gnus 5.0.10, when I use gnus-summary-mail-forward
    Sten> or gnus-uu-digest-mail-forward (I don't know about other
    Sten> -forward commands), my signature file is put at the
    Sten> _beginning_ of the message.  Even if this isn't broken, I'd
    Sten> still like the signature to be at the end of the message.
    Sten> How can I make this happen?

    Sten> 		Sten

I don't think this is broken.  At any rate, it behaves the same way in
sgnus v0.16.

You do have a hook available to rearrange things.  Take a look at the
gnus-mail-forward-hook.  What you would want to do there is move all
the text between the header separator line, and the
``------- Start of forwarded message -------'' line to the end of the
buffer.

Try this out and see if it does what you want (I'm sure that this is
not the most elegant way of doing this, but it appears to work):

(defun signature-to-end-of-forwarded-message ()
  (save-excursion
    (goto-char (point-min))
    (re-search-forward
     (concat "^" (regexp-quote mail-header-separator) "$") nil t)
    (forward-line 1)
    (let* ((start (point))
	   (end (progn
		  (save-excursion
		    (re-search-forward "^------- Start of forwarded message -"
				       nil
				       t)
		    (beginning-of-line)
		    (point)))))
      (goto-char (point-max))
      (insert-buffer-substring (current-buffer) start end)
      (delete-region start end))))

(add-hook 'gnus-mail-forward-hook 'signature-to-end-of-forwarded-message)

Regards,
--
steve@miranova.com baur

* Re: Signature in forwarded messages
@ 1995-11-29  8:32   ` Robert Nicholson
From: Robert Nicholson @ 1995-11-29  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

How can you justify the signature appearing at the start of the
message when forwarding?

re: I don't think this is broken.

--
             "Mary ate a little lamb and punk rock isn't dead"
            (PGP key: send email with Subject: request pgp key)

* Re: Signature in forwarded messages
@ 1995-11-29  9:29     ` M.N.Oakden
From: M.N.Oakden @ 1995-11-29  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

In article <ebupv95y9.fsf@steffi.accessone.com>
robert@steffi.accessone.com (Robert Nicholson) writes:

> How can you justify the signature appearing at the start of the
> message when forwarding?
>
> re: I don't think this is broken.

The signature appearing before a forwarded message seems like
reasonable behaviour to me, at least at first thought... Thinking
further about it, I worry about the effect of this on clever mail/news
readers in which it is possible for the user to automagically hide
signatures [mentioning no names, ... but how many clever mail/news
readers are there ;) ].  It would seem to me that this might result in
the entire forwarded message being hidden (apologies if The Cleverest
Mail/News Reader is clever enough to not do this even if its dumb user
asks it to hide signatures...)

I can think of one "justification" off-hand.  If I am replying to a
letter (a real paper one), and want to quote some of a previous letter
to me in my letter, I quote the material within the letter and sign at
the end. [compare email reply with original text] ... BUT ... If I am
sending an entire copy of a letter (again, a real paper one) I receive
to somebody else, and want to add an explanation of the forwarded
letter "Dear Bob,  Look at this gibberish Fred sent me.  Cheers, Mark"
or something of the sort,  I would probably scribble this across the
top of the forwarded letter (with my "signature" "Mark" there, above
the text of the forwarded letter) or if my explanatory note was
longer,  I would probably write my own letter, complete with my
signature "Mark", and staple it to the front of the forwarded
copy. [cf email forwarding].   In both these paper-mail forwarding
systems my signature appears before the forwarded letter.

Of course,  email isn't paper mail,  and it probably isn't a good idea
to take such paper mail analogies too seriously in an email context.

Cheers,
Mark.
--
oakden@hep.ph.liv.ac.uk - I'm not politically | Wearing straw cloaks,
incorrect,  I'm just differently articulate.  | with spring

* Re: Signature in forwarded messages
@ 1995-11-29 10:07     ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1995-11-29 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Putting the signature in front of an included item make sense when the
included item doesn't have a natural end marker.  Forwarded messages
does have such an end marker.

Having the signature in front does not interact well with attempts to
automatically hide or highlight the signature.

* Re: Signature in forwarded messages
@ 1995-11-29 17:55   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-11-29 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Steven L. Baur" <steve@miranova.com> writes:

> Lars, may I respectfully request that you put the magic ``Start of''
> string into a variable so that it doesn't have to be copied by hand as
> below?

Well, if you drop the "respectfully" part.  :-)

I've added this to 0.17.

--
Home is where the cat is.

* Re: Signature in forwarded messages
                           ` (3 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-11-29 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

"M.N.Oakden" <oakden@hep.ph.liv.ac.uk> writes:

> If I am sending an entire copy of a letter (again, a real paper one)
> I receive to somebody else, and want to add an explanation of the
> forwarded letter "Dear Bob, Look at this gibberish Fred sent me.
> Cheers, Mark" or something of the sort, I would probably scribble
> this across the top of the forwarded letter (with my "signature"
> "Mark" there, above the text of the forwarded letter) or if my
> explanatory note was longer, I would probably write my own letter,
> complete with my signature "Mark", and staple it to the front of the
> forwarded copy.

Yup.  I think this is probably the reason why the signature comes
before the forwarded message.  (I think this was the behavior in GNUS
4.1 as well.)  It makes sense to me, but, on the other hand, it makes
automatic signature handling more difficult...

So, I dunno.  I have no strong feelings on the subject.  If y'all feel
that the signature should go after the forwarded message, I'll do
that.  It would make automatic signature handling easier.

--
Home is where the cat is.

* Re: Signature in forwarded messages
@ 1995-11-29 18:31         ` Scott Blachowicz
                           ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Scott Blachowicz @ 1995-11-29 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

larsi@ifi.uio.no (Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen) wrote:

> So, I dunno.  I have no strong feelings on the subject.  If y'all feel
> that the signature should go after the forwarded message, I'll do
> that.  It would make automatic signature handling easier.

I vote for before the message - I frequently forward messages to
colleagues with a short intro ("cover letter") in which case MY text
belongs before the forwarded message.  Could just make it switchable.

Scott Blachowicz    Ph: 206/283-8802x240    StatSci, a div of MathSoft, Inc.
                                            1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                           Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org

* Re: Signature in forwarded messages
@ 1995-11-29 19:26         ` Edward J. Sabol
From: Edward J. Sabol @ 1995-11-29 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Excerpts from mail: (29-Nov-95) Re: Signature in forwarded messages by Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
> So, I dunno. I have no strong feelings on the subject. If y'all feel
> that the signature should go after the forwarded message, I'll do that.
> It would make automatic signature handling easier.

If we're voting, I vote for after the forwarded message. It would make sense
to put it before the forwarded message only if the forwarded message did not
have a end delimiter, but, since it does, I really think it should come after.

* Re: Signature in forwarded messages
@ 1995-11-29 21:44           ` David K}gedal
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: David K}gedal @ 1995-11-29 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

What I lack is the possibility to "resend" mail. I want to send an the
mail I got to another person unaltered, except for the Resent-to,
Resent-by and Resent-date headers, which should be added. I guess this
is specified in RFC822, or something like that, and many mail programs
can do it, but I haven't seen it in Gnus.

--
David Kågedal     Lysator Academic Computer Society       davidk@lysator.liu.se
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~davidk/                              +46-13 17 65 89

* Re: Signature in forwarded messages
@ 1995-11-30  6:35             ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 1995-11-30  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

David K}gedal <davidk@lysator.liu.se> writes:

> What I lack is the possibility to "resend" mail. I want to send an the
> mail I got to another person unaltered, except for the Resent-to,
> Resent-by and Resent-date headers, which should be added. I guess this is
> specified in RFC822, or something like that, and many mail programs can do
> it, but I haven't seen it in Gnus.

I'll ditto this.  It's the one major thing that elm had that I miss.

--
Russ Allbery (rra@cs.stanford.edu)     http://www-leland.stanford.edu/~rra/

* Re: Signature in forwarded messages
@ 1995-11-30  7:42               ` Saileshwar Krishnamurthy
                                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Saileshwar Krishnamurthy @ 1995-11-30  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

In article <199511300635.WAA07790@cyclone.Stanford.EDU> Russ Allbery <eagle@cyclone.Stanford.EDU> writes:

    >> What I lack is the possibility to "resend" mail. I want to
    >> send an the mail I got to another person unaltered, except
    >> for the Resent-to, Resent-by and Resent-date headers,
    >> which should be added. I guess this is specified in
    >> RFC822, or something like that, and many mail programs can
    >> do it, but I haven't seen it in Gnus.

    Russ> I'll ditto this.  It's the one major thing that elm had
    Russ> that I miss.

Something like Bounce (B) in VM ? (vm-resend-message)

Another nice thing would be:

 An equivalent of vm-resend-bounced-message, mapped to M-r in VM

Just something trivial: Gnus unlike GNUS displays the Name of the
sender of  a message rather  than the email-address  in a summary
buffer.  There  are times  when  people don't  have  names,  only
email-addresses and then that entry in the Summary buffer is just
blank.

Cheers
Sailesh
"God is void* in EVERY declaration,
	And all prayers go to /dev/null"

* Re: Signature in forwarded messages
@ 1995-11-30  8:41         ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1995-11-30  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Lars> Yup.  I think this is probably the reason why the signature
  Lars> comes before the forwarded message.  (I think this was the
  Lars> behavior in GNUS 4.1 as well.)  It makes sense to me, but, on
  Lars> the other hand, it makes automatic signature handling more
  Lars> difficult...

You could assume that a signature contains no empty lines and use that
for coloring, for instance.  Isn't there an empty line inserted after
the signature already?

Whatcha think?
        \kai{}
--
Have you hugged your signature today?

* Re: Signature in forwarded messages
@ 1995-11-30  9:33                 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1995-11-30  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: eagle

  Sailesh> Just something trivial: Gnus unlike GNUS displays the Name
  Sailesh> of the sender of a message rather than the email-address in
  Sailesh> a summary buffer.  There are times when people don't have
  Sailesh> names, only email-addresses and then that entry in the
  Sailesh> Summary buffer is just blank.

Yes!  Yes!  I get this, too, and have always attributed it to BBDB.
If you don't use BBDB that might be an indication of a problem with
Gnus rather than with BBDB or the BBDB/Gnus interaction.

        \kai{}
--
Have you hugged your signature today?

* User Names in the Summary buffer
@ 1995-11-30 13:59                 ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1995-11-30 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

SK> Just something trivial: Gnus unlike GNUS displays the Name of the
SK> sender of  a message rather  than the email-address  in a summary
SK> buffer.  There  are times  when  people don't  have  names,  only
SK> email-addresses and then that entry in the Summary buffer is just
SK> blank.

This probably has something to do with mail-extr, the package that is used
to extract the address and full name from the headers of the message.
According to the function mail-extract-address-components, if the full name
cannot be found it will be left empty.  Thus the problem.

It would be nice if we could (optionally?) have gnus insert the sender's
address if the full name is empty.

I use the BBDB package and use it to insert the names from BBDB into the
summary line, instead of names from mail-extract-address-components.  This
way, when I find someone who doesn't have a full name in the headers I can
add it manually to the database.  I've also found that BBDB will insert the
person's address instead, contrary to what Kai Grossjohn just said.

BBDB can be found at
ftp://archive.cis.ohio-state.edu:/pub/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive/packages/bbdb-1.50.tar.Z
among other places.  You'll also need gnus-bbdb from Brian Edmonds:
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/spider/edmonds/gnus-bbdb.el

--
Jack Vinson                       jvinson@cheux.ecs.umass.edu
"I Spit on Your Grave"            -- double feature at the drive-in as seen

* Resending (was Re: Signature in forwarded messages)
@ 1995-11-30 16:46             ` Edward J. Sabol
From: Edward J. Sabol @ 1995-11-30 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Excerpts from mail: (29-Nov-95) Re: Signature in forwarded messages by David K}gedal
>  What I lack is the possibility to "resend" mail. I want to send an
> the mail I got to another person unaltered, except for the Resent-to,
> Resent-by and Resent-date headers, which should be added. I guess this
> is specified in RFC822, or something like that, and many mail programs
> can do it, but I haven't seen it in Gnus.

Yes! Every self-respecting mail user agent *has* to have resend capability.
Gnus lack thereof is one of the reasons why I still don't use it for personal
(non-mailing lists) e-mail. Lars, please add this!

Thanks,
Ed

* Re: Signature in forwarded messages
@ 1995-11-30 23:56                   ` Sudish Joseph
From: Sudish Joseph @ 1995-11-30 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, eagle

Kai Grossjohann writes:
> [...]

Sailesh> Just something trivial: Gnus unlike GNUS displays the Name
Sailesh> of the sender of a message rather than the email-address in
Sailesh> a summary buffer.  There are times when people don't have
Sailesh> names, only email-addresses and then that entry in the
Sailesh> Summary buffer is just blank.

> Yes!  Yes!  I get this, too, and have always attributed it to BBDB.
> If you don't use BBDB that might be an indication of a problem with
> Gnus rather than with BBDB or the BBDB/Gnus interaction.

Just FYI.  Both BBDB (mail-extract-address-components, really) and
gnus-extract-address-components can return null full names--but for
different reasons.

mail-extr does it when the name is a single word that is the same as
the person's login id.  It does this so that BBDB doesn't get too many
bogus hits when it's checking for new addresses for known posters.  I
had a patch that altered this behaviour...I backed it out after a few
months, the number of bogus matches was a severe pain.

gnus-extract-address-components gives empty addresses when people use
bogus (non-1036 conformant) address formats.  For e.g., the address
"<xyz@foo.bar> (J. Luser)" is bogus, but occurs with unnerving
frequency, as does "<luser@some.where>".  Currently, it returns null
on these formats, but I think they'd be worth supporting, considering
the frequency with which they're encountered.

-Sudish

* Re: Signature in forwarded messages
@ 1995-12-01  3:57           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-12-01  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com> writes:

> I vote for before the message - I frequently forward messages to
> colleagues with a short intro ("cover letter") in which case MY text
> belongs before the forwarded message.  Could just make it switchable.

Yup.  The Gnus thing to do is, of course, to add a variable for this.
`gnus-signature-before-forwarded-message' is new in 0.17.  Default is
t.

--
Home is where the cat is.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-12-01  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

davidk@lysator.liu.se (David K}gedal) writes:

> What I lack is the possibility to "resend" mail. I want to send an the
> mail I got to another person unaltered, except for the Resent-to,
> Resent-by and Resent-date headers, which should be added. I guess this
> is specified in RFC822, or something like that, and many mail programs
> can do it, but I haven't seen it in Gnus.

Ok, I'll look up RFC822 and add it.

--
Home is where the cat is.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-12-01  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Saileshwar Krishnamurthy <krish@cs.purdue.edu> writes:

> Something like Bounce (B) in VM ? (vm-resend-message)
>
> Another nice thing would be:
>
>  An equivalent of vm-resend-bounced-message, mapped to M-r in VM

Isn't this what `S D b' (`gnus-summary-resend-bounced-mail') does?

--
Home is where the cat is.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-12-01  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sudish Joseph <joseph@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

> gnus-extract-address-components gives empty addresses when people use
> bogus (non-1036 conformant) address formats.  For e.g., the address
> "<xyz@foo.bar> (J. Luser)" is bogus, but occurs with unnerving
> frequency, as does "<luser@some.where>".  Currently, it returns null
> on these formats, but I think they'd be worth supporting, considering
> the frequency with which they're encountered.

Ok.  0.17 will default to the From line when the name it has picked
out is equal to "".

--
Home is where the cat is.

* Re: Resending (was Re: Signature in forwarded messages)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-12-01  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Edward J. Sabol" <sabol@thuban.gsfc.nasa.gov> writes:

> Yes! Every self-respecting mail user agent *has* to have resend capability.
> Gnus lack thereof is one of the reasons why I still don't use it for personal
> (non-mailing lists) e-mail.

Do you use this "resend" thingie much?  I'm always forwarded things,
and I don't think I haven't been resent a single mail ever...  I would
think it would be somewhat more confusing than simple forwarding?

--
Home is where the cat is.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-12-01  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjoh@dusty.informatik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> You could assume that a signature contains no empty lines and use that
> for coloring, for instance.

That would lose out on lots of signatures -- many have empty lines
embedded.

--

@ 1995-12-01  5:32                 ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 1995-12-01  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> Do you use this "resend" thingie much?  I'm always forwarded things,
> and I don't think I haven't been resent a single mail ever...  I would
> think it would be somewhat more confusing than simple forwarding?

I use it a *lot*.  Forwarding and bouncing have two very differnet
purposes.  Forwarding is for "here, I want you to see a copy of this, but it
wasn't sent to you."  Bouncing is "you sent this to the wrong address, so
I'm going to resend it to the right address, but I really don't feel like
getting into that with you right now."  It's also "I want this mail message
on a different account instead of this one."

--

@ 1995-12-01  5:36                 ` David K}gedal
From: David K}gedal @ 1995-12-01  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

larsi@ifi.uio.no (Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen) writes:

>Do you use this "resend" thingie much?  I'm always forwarded things,
>and I don't think I haven't been resent a single mail ever...  I would
>think it would be somewhat more confusing than simple forwarding?

I don't use it, because it isn't there, but if it were I would surely
use it a lot.

One other thing. At least one of the Resent-* headers should be
visible by default, (Resent-to and Resent-by should be there) as it
can get a bit confusing otherwise when you get a mail not adressed to
you.

--

@ 1995-12-01  6:10                   ` Eric Hendrickson
From: Eric Hendrickson @ 1995-12-01  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

supposedly David K}gedal spoke about "Re: Resending (was Re: Signature in forwarded messages),":

> One other thing. At least one of the Resent-* headers should be
> visible by default, (Resent-to and Resent-by should be there) as it
> can get a bit confusing otherwise when you get a mail not adressed to
> you.

To me, that would defeat the purpose of ``resending'' a message.  It should
be transparent to the recipient that the message was resent, unless they
examine the headers closely.  Otherwise I used ``forward''.

Just MHO, but I think this is how other MUA's work too...

--
[Sir Stafford Cripps] has all the virtues I dislike and none of the
vices I admire.

Eric D. Hendrickson              Computational Biology Centers/Medical School
Senior Analyst/Programmer           University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, USA
612/625-3644 (phone)           <a href="http://umn.edu/~edh">Crystal Cave</a>
612/626-0623 (fax)        Damnit!  I can't stop the heterocyclic declination!

* Re: Resending (was Re: Signature in forwarded messages)
@ 1995-12-01  6:17                     ` David K}gedal
From: David K}gedal @ 1995-12-01  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eric Hendrickson <edh@lenti.med.umn.edu> writes:

>To me, that would defeat the purpose of ``resending'' a message.  It should
>be transparent to the recipient that the message was resent, unless they
>examine the headers closely.  Otherwise I used ``forward''.
>
>Just MHO, but I think this is how other MUA's work too...

So the purpose of resending is to confuse people :-)

When I get mail addressed to root@lysator.liu.se, I get very
confused, until I press 't' and see that it was resent to
www@lysator.liu.se. I would like to see that at once.

--

@ 1995-12-01  6:59                       ` Eric Hendrickson
From: Eric Hendrickson @ 1995-12-01  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

supposedly David K}gedal spoke about "Re: Resending (was Re: Signature in forwarded messages),":

> So the purpose of resending is to confuse people :-)

hehehe, I guess so  8)

> When I get mail addressed to root@lysator.liu.se, I get very
> confused, until I press 't' and see that it was resent to
> www@lysator.liu.se. I would like to see that at once.

Well, I don't use Gnus for mail (yet), but VM has a ``vm-visible-headers''
variable where you can define what headers you want to see.  It would make
sense to me to have such a thing in Gnus as well...

--
The young Georgia miss came to the hospital for a checkup.
	"Have you been X-rayed?" asked the doctor.

Eric D. Hendrickson              Computational Biology Centers/Medical School
Senior Analyst/Programmer           University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, USA
612/625-3644 (phone)           <a href="http://umn.edu/~edh">Crystal Cave</a>
612/626-0623 (fax)        Damnit!  I can't stop the heterocyclic declination!

* Re: Signature in forwarded messages
                           ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1995-12-01 12:01         ` Mats G. Lofdahl
From: Mats G. Lofdahl @ 1995-12-01 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

that has been posted as well.

In article <w8sn39fwbja.fsf@gymir.ifi.uio.no> larsi@ifi.uio.no (Lars
Magne Ingebrigtsen) writes:

> So, I dunno.  I have no strong feelings on the subject.  If y'all
> feel that the signature should go after the forwarded message, I'll
> do that.  It would make automatic signature handling easier.

I vote for keeping the possibility for sigs before the forwarded
message.

It should be easy to see where the signature ends.  It ends where the
forwarded message starts, and there is a marker there, isn't there?

	/Mats

* Re: Resending (was Re: Signature in forwarded messages)
@ 1995-12-01 16:51                 ` Scott Blachowicz
From: Scott Blachowicz @ 1995-12-01 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

larsi@ifi.uio.no (Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen) wrote:

> Do you use this "resend" thingie much?  I'm always forwarded things,
> and I don't think I haven't been resent a single mail ever...  I would
> think it would be somewhat more confusing than simple forwarding?

I use it.  I generally use it when I'm forwarding an article of interest
to my own account on a different machine (generally from work to home).
Occasionally, I have a co-worker "bounce" (that's what elm calls it; MH
calls it "dist"; the headers are "Resent-" - more letters to base a key
binding mnemonic on :-)) a message to me so I can reply to the original
sender.

Since I have/use MH, I just pipe the message off

        | rcvdist scott@sabami RET

and that does the trick.  It'd be REAL nice if there were a way to apply
the same command to each of the process-marked messages without having to
re-confirm the command every time (I have the same complaint about saving
process-marked messages to a folder).  BTW, I mentioned that a long time
ago - I don't remember finding a way to do it unless it was something like
double prefix the command and click your heals a few times? :-))

@ 1995-12-01 17:54                   ` Steven L. Baur
From: Steven L. Baur @ 1995-12-01 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Russ> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:
    >> Do you use this "resend" thingie much?  I'm always forwarded
    >> things, and I don't think I haven't been resent a single mail
    >> ever...  I would think it would be somewhat more confusing than
    >> simple forwarding?

    Russ> I use it a *lot*.  Forwarding and bouncing have two very
    Russ> differnet purposes.

I agree completely with Russ.  I would also add, that (proper)
bouncing would have a greater likelihood of being processed by the
intended procmail rules by the recipient.

--
steve@miranova.com baur

* Multiple confirmations (was: Re: Resending (was Re: Signature in forwarded messages))
@ 1995-12-01 18:24                   ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1995-12-01 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: larsi, ding

SB> It'd be REAL nice if there were a way to apply
SB> the same command to each of the process-marked messages without having to
SB> re-confirm the command every time (I have the same complaint about saving
SB> process-marked messages to a folder).  BTW, I mentioned that a long time
SB> ago - I don't remember finding a way to do it unless it was something like
SB> double prefix the command and click your heals a few times? :-))

While that is an excellent suggestion, I think using the same
convention as `save-some-buffers' and `query-replace' would be more
Emacs-like.  I.e. typing `!' means "yes, and don't ask for the
remaining items".

* Re: Multiple confirmations (was: Re: Resending (was Re: Signature in forwarded messages))
@ 1995-12-01 19:19                     ` Scott Blachowicz
From: Scott Blachowicz @ 1995-12-01 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: larsi, ding

 Per> While that is an excellent suggestion, I think using the same
 Per> convention as `save-some-buffers' and `query-replace' would be more
 Per> Emacs-like.  I.e. typing `!' means "yes, and don't ask for the
 Per> remaining items".

The problem is that it isn't just a y-or-n response it is looking for.
It's asking for a folder name or a command, so it's not quite the same
type of operation as `save-some-buffers'.  Maybe a "!" response by itself
could trigger it, but that doesn't really "feel right".  Maybe a `M-!'
response?  I suppose I COULD write my own wrapper function to do the job
and rebind the keys to my wrapper, but that's too much work for the amount
of benefit (I just don't spend enough time in the newsreader to warrant it
at the moment...real work keeps getting in the way).

@ 1995-12-04  1:50                         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-12-04  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eric Hendrickson <edh@lenti.med.umn.edu> writes:

> Well, I don't use Gnus for mail (yet), but VM has a ``vm-visible-headers''
> variable where you can define what headers you want to see.  It would make
> sense to me to have such a thing in Gnus as well...

Uhm, yes, so that's why we have `gnus-visible-headers'.  I've added
"^Resent-" to the regexp of headers shown by default.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-12-04  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com> writes:

> It'd be REAL nice if there were a way to apply the same command to
> each of the process-marked messages without having to re-confirm the
> command every time (I have the same complaint about saving
> process-marked messages to a folder).  BTW, I mentioned that a long
> time ago - I don't remember finding a way to do it unless it was
> something like double prefix the command and click your heals a few
> times? :-))

There's a new variable to control the prompting in September:

gnus-prompt-before-saving's value is always

Documentation:
*This variable says how much prompting is to be done when saving articles.
If it is nil, no prompting will be done, and the articles will be
saved to the default files.  If this variable is `always', each and
every article that is saved will be preceded by a prompt, even when
saving large batches of articles.  If this variable is neither nil not
`always', there the user will be prompted once for a file name for
each invocation of the saving commands.

--
Home is where the cat is.

* Re: Multiple confirmations
@ 1995-12-04  1:50                       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-12-04  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com> writes:

> The problem is that it isn't just a y-or-n response it is looking for.
> It's asking for a folder name or a command, so it's not quite the same
> type of operation as `save-some-buffers'.  Maybe a "!" response by itself
> could trigger it, but that doesn't really "feel right".  Maybe a `M-!'
> response?

Well, there should be a `map-read-string' to echo `map-y-or-n-p'.  I
have no idea how it should work, though.

--
Home is where the cat is.