* Feature wish Red Gnus
@ 1996-07-18 13:03 Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-07-18 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I use Gcc extensively.  The Gcc'd copy is always fresh, of course.  I
wish there was a way to tell Gnus, while the message is being
composed, that the Gcc'd copy should come up ticked or read
immediately so that I don't have to enter the group again after
sending the message to do it myself.

Would that be feasible?
kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: Feature wish Red Gnus
@ 1996-07-18 20:27 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-07-18 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjoh@ls6.informatik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> I use Gcc extensively.  The Gcc'd copy is always fresh, of course.  I
> wish there was a way to tell Gnus, while the message is being
> composed, that the Gcc'd copy should come up ticked or read
> immediately so that I don't have to enter the group again after
> sending the message to do it myself.

Well -- I don't really know whether that would be all that useful.
Can't you just `c' the group from the grup buffer to mark all articles
as read?

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Feature wish Red Gnus
@ 1996-07-18 21:01   ` Han Pilmeyer
From: Han Pilmeyer @ 1996-07-18 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars> Kai Grossjohann <grossjoh@ls6.informatik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:
>> I use Gcc extensively.  The Gcc'd copy is always fresh, of course.  I
>> wish there was a way to tell Gnus, while the message is being
>> composed, that the Gcc'd copy should come up ticked or read
>> immediately so that I don't have to enter the group again after
>> sending the message to do it myself.

Lars> Well -- I don't really know whether that would be all that useful.
Lars> Can't you just `c' the group from the grup buffer to mark all articles
Lars> as read?

I think I agree with Kai. I've now customized Gnus in a way that I get
Gcc copies of everything in the different groups where I want
them. After sending messages I still have to enter those groups to
mark my own copies as "read". I wouldn't have to do that if they were
automagically marked as "read".

I'm not sure why I would want them ticked automatically though. I
usually keep my own stuff just for the record. It can't be important
enough to get ticked ;-)

Cheers.
--
Han Pilmeyer, han@uto.dec.com, Phone: +31 30 2832671, FAX: +31 30 2832686
Digital Equipment B.V., Europalaan 44, 3526 KS Utrecht, The Netherlands

* Re: Feature wish Red Gnus
@ 1996-07-18 23:16     ` Paul Stodghill
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Paul Stodghill @ 1996-07-18 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjoh@ls6.informatik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:
    > I use Gcc extensively. The Gcc'd copy is always fresh, of course. I
    > wish there was a way to tell Gnus, while the message is being
    > composed, that the Gcc'd copy should come up ticked or read
    > immediately so that I don't have to enter the group again after
    > sending the message to do it myself.

    Lars> Well -- I don't really know whether that would be all that
    Lars> useful. Can't you just `c' the group from the grup buffer to mark
    Lars> all articles as read?

    Han> I think I agree with Kai. I've now customized Gnus in a way that I
    Han> get Gcc copies of everything in the different groups where I want
    Han> them. After sending messages I still have to enter those groups to
    Han> mark my own copies as "read". I wouldn't have to do that if they
    Han> were automagically marked as "read".

I too would find this functionality useful.

I read mail using Gnus, and I would like to GCC my replies into the group
in which I am replying. That way, when I look at my mail in nnml:misc.mail,
I can also see my replies. I can do this presently, no problem, but it's a
bit of a pain to have to mark my replies as read when I'm processing
_really_ unread mail.

And ticking GCC'ed copied would be useful for those oh-so-important replies
that I really can't afford to forget.

--
Paul Stodghill <stodghil@cs.cornell.edu>
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/stodghil/home.html

* Re: Feature wish Red Gnus
@ 1996-07-18 23:46       ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-07-18 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai> I wish there was a way to tell Gnus, while the message is being
Kai> composed, that the Gcc'd copy should come up ticked or read
Kai> immediately ...

Han> I think I agree with Kai.

Paul> I too would find this functionality useful.

Me too.
--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be proofread for $250/hour.

* Re: Feature wish Red Gnus
@ 1996-07-19  6:22   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-07-19  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Lars> Well -- I don't really know whether that would be all that
  Lars> useful.  Can't you just `c' the group from the grup buffer to
  Lars> mark all articles as read?

For one thing, this doesn't tick any articles.  And there are groups
where I keep *every* mail, ticked.  Would I have to switch from
total-expire to auto-expire for this one group, just to be able to
`c'?

Also, this doesn't work when there are other messages besides my own
in the group.  And this happens quite often, too.

How about a header X-Gcc-Mark which can be set to `r' or `!' or
something?

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: Feature wish Red Gnus
@ 1996-07-19  6:53       ` Mark Eichin
From: Mark Eichin @ 1996-07-19  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

"me too!" I've recently switched to using gcc to directly drop
outbound messages in the right place (so this posting wiill go in
nnml:mail.ding, along with the other incoming mail from the ding
list...) On problem: I set gnus-message-archive-group to (lambda(x)
(list "misc-mail" x)) which does the right thing when my mail is in
nnml:* and news is just in news.group.whatever, but when I've got nnml
as the gnus-select-method, and the groups are actually named mail.*,
it ends up building a gcc line pointing to nnfolder+archive:mail.*
instead.  I haven't dug around to find out how to deal, but it's
pretty clear that "this isn't how lars does it" or it would be easier :-)

* Re: Feature wish Red Gnus
@ 1996-07-19  7:21         ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-07-19  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Paul Stodghill, ding

  Mark> [...] I haven't dug around to find out how to deal, but it's
  Mark> pretty clear that "this isn't how lars does it" or it would be
  Mark> easier :-)

FWIW, here's what I do.  Not too sophisticated, but kind of nice, I
think.  I have bound the last function to a key in message-mode.

I don't remember why I didn't use gnus-message-archive-group.

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

(defun kai-gnus-outgoing-message-group ()
  (cond ((and gnus-newsgroup-name
              (stringp gnus-newsgroup-name)
              (string-match "^nnml" gnus-newsgroup-name))
         gnus-newsgroup-name)
        (t "nnml:mail.misc")))
(setq gnus-outgoing-message-group 'kai-gnus-outgoing-message-group)
(setq gnus-message-archive-group nil)

;; I'm sure this is a horrible implementation and there's
;; a way to do it better that's a million times more
;; elegant.
(defun message-toggle-gcc ()
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (save-restriction
      (let ((pmin (progn (beginning-of-buffer) (point)))
            (pmax (progn
                    (beginning-of-buffer)
                    (re-search-forward (concat "^" mail-header-separator
                                               "$"))
                    (beginning-of-line)
                    (point))))
        (beginning-of-buffer)
        (narrow-to-region pmin pmax)
        (if (re-search-forward "^gcc: .*" nil t)
            (progn
              (beginning-of-line)
              (kill-line 1))
          (goto-char pmax)
          (insert (concat "Gcc: "
                          (kai-gnus-outgoing-message-group)
                          "\n")))))))

* Re: Feature wish Red Gnus
@ 1996-07-19  8:42         ` Jens Lautenbacher
From: Jens Lautenbacher @ 1996-07-19  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Eichin <eichin@cygnus.com> writes:

> On problem: I set gnus-message-archive-group to (lambda(x) (list
> "misc-mail" x)) which does the right thing when my mail is in nnml:*
> and news is just in news.group.whatever, but when I've got nnml as
> the gnus-select-method, and the groups are actually named mail.*, it
> ends up building a gcc line pointing to nnfolder+archive:mail.*
> instead.  I haven't dug around to find out how to deal, but it's
> pretty clear that "this isn't how lars does it" or it would be
> easier :-)

I made a small patch to gnus-msg.el that provides a new group
parameter "gcc-self". If this is set to t in a groups's parameter
list, the gcc line is always build according to the right group name
if you send from inside of this this group. I process all my article
saving with this, except for a standart archive server line for misc
mail or misc news like:

    (setq gnus-message-archive-group
	     '((if (message-news-p)
		   "misc-news"
		 "misc-mail")))

If gcc-self is set to none, no gcc line at all appears in this group. I
use this for articles gong to mailing lists I,m subscribed to, as my
article will come back anyway.

A typical group parameter list would be (for ding.ifi.uio.no):

;; Type `C-c C-c' after editing the group parameters.

((gcc-self . none)
 (to-address . "ding@ifi.uio.no"))

And another for some private email:

;; Type `C-c C-c' after editing the group parameters.

((gcc-self . t)
 (to-address . "LITZLER@KHE.SCN.DE"))

I append my patch below, I already sent it to Lars but it will not be
integrated (if at all) before Red Gnus.

[-- Attachment #2: gnuspatch --]

*** /usr/users/jens/daten/elisp/gnus-5.2.19/lisp/gnus-msg.el	Sat Jun 15 11:06:23 1996
--- gnus-msg.el	Sat Jun 15 15:42:33 1996
***************
*** 854,859 ****
--- 854,860 ----
    (let* ((var gnus-message-archive-group)
  	 (group (or group gnus-newsgroup-name ""))
  	 result
+ 	 gcc-self-val
  	 (groups
  	  (cond
  	   ((null gnus-message-archive-method)
***************
*** 897,909 ****
  	  (gnus-inews-narrow-to-headers)
  	  (goto-char (point-max))
  	  (insert "Gcc: ")
! 	  (while (setq name (pop groups))
! 	    (insert (if (string-match ":" name)
! 			name
! 		      (gnus-group-prefixed-name
! 		       name gnus-message-archive-method)))
! 	    (if groups (insert " ")))
! 	  (insert "\n"))))))

  (defun gnus-summary-send-draft ()
    "Enter a mail/post buffer to edit and send the draft."
--- 898,924 ----
  	  (gnus-inews-narrow-to-headers)
  	  (goto-char (point-max))
  	  (insert "Gcc: ")
! 	  (if (and gnus-newsgroup-name
! 		   (setq gcc-self-val
! 			 (gnus-group-get-parameter
! 			  gnus-newsgroup-name 'gcc-self)))
! 	      (progn
! 		(insert
! 		 (if (stringp gcc-self-val)
! 		     gcc-self-val
! 		   group))
! 		(if (not (eq gcc-self-val 'none))
! 		    (insert "\n")
! 		  (progn
! 		    (beginning-of-line)
! 		    (kill-line))))

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-07-19 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Stodghill <stodghil@CS.Cornell.EDU> writes:

> I read mail using Gnus, and I would like to GCC my replies into the group
> in which I am replying. That way, when I look at my mail in nnml:misc.mail,
> I can also see my replies. I can do this presently, no problem, but it's a
> bit of a pain to have to mark my replies as read when I'm processing
> _really_ unread mail.

Ok, this seems to be something many people want, so I've added it to
the Red Gnus todo list.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen