* New gnus user, a few questions.
@ 1996-07-08  7:43 Joseph McDonald
From: Joseph McDonald @ 1996-07-08  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I have just installed the latest xemacs which comes with gnus and have
a few questions which I haven't seen answered in the FAQ.  I am still
going through the manual, and may come across the answers soon, but if
anyone has any quick answers:

1.) While viewing the article with my cursor in the summary buffer,
    the "space" bar scrolls down, but the "delete" key gives me an error
    that it's a read-only buffer.  How do I get the delete key mapped so
    that I can scroll the article backwards?  If it's not possible,
    how would I map it to another key (say the "-" key)

2.) What would be the best way to bind a key to bring up the "group"
    buffer no matter where I am in the gnus system (or better, to
    start gnus if it isn't started, else bring up the group buffer)

3.) When replying to email, how do I get it to carry along the CC from
    the message I am replying to?

4.) I am using procmail, I notice that when gnus gets the new messages
    it creates a seperate file for each message, One list I subscribe
    to gets over 100 posts a day, is this the best way for me to have
    that list setup?  If not, what's better.

5.) How would I bind a key to (or is there one already bound), to
    cancel a "r", i.e. I am in the mail buffer and decide I don't
    really want to send it.  Right now I go to the buffer menu, find
    that buffer and delete it.

Thanks, and to Lars: great package.
-joe

* Re: New gnus user, a few questions.
@ 1996-07-08  7:57 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-07-08  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Joseph McDonald

Joseph McDonald <joe@smartlink.net> writes:

> 1.) While viewing the article with my cursor in the summary buffer,
>     the "space" bar scrolls down, but the "delete" key gives me an error
>     that it's a read-only buffer.

Sounds like someone has redefined your `DEL' key for you.  Have you
loaded delbackspace (or whatever it's called)?

> 2.) What would be the best way to bind a key to bring up the "group"
>     buffer no matter where I am in the gnus system (or better, to
>     start gnus if it isn't started, else bring up the group buffer)

(global-set-key "\C-cg" 'gnus)

> 3.) When replying to email, how do I get it to carry along the CC from
>     the message I am replying to?

`F'

> 4.) I am using procmail, I notice that when gnus gets the new messages
>     it creates a seperate file for each message, One list I subscribe
>     to gets over 100 posts a day, is this the best way for me to have
>     that list setup?

Does this mean that you use nnml?  If you don't want a
one-file-per-message, you could use nnfolder instead.

> 5.) How would I bind a key to (or is there one already bound), to
>     cancel a "r", i.e. I am in the mail buffer and decide I don't
>     really want to send it.  Right now I go to the buffer menu, find
>     that buffer and delete it.

You could just kill the buffer -- `C-x k RET'.  `C-c C-k' will kill
and return to where you were.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: New gnus user, a few questions.
@ 1996-07-08  8:25   ` Joseph McDonald
From: Joseph McDonald @ 1996-07-08  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, Joseph McDonald

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> Sounds like someone has redefined your `DEL' key for you.  Have you
> loaded delbackspace (or whatever it's called)?

I haven't but I'll look for it.  My .emacs has:

   (global-set-key "\C-d" 'delete-char)
   (global-set-key "\C-h" 'delete-backward-char)

Which I stuck in there to make it work with my telnet client.  Mapping
it to another key would be fine, and I know how to do that globally,
but not just while in the "gnus" mode (or "gnus-summary-buffer or
article buffer" mode)

> > 4.) I am using procmail, I notice that when gnus gets the new messages
> >     it creates a seperate file for each message, One list I subscribe
> >     to gets over 100 posts a day, is this the best way for me to have
> >     that list setup?
>
> Does this mean that you use nnml?  If you don't want a
> one-file-per-message, you could use nnfolder instead.

I used nnmh as the method.  I will experiment with other methods, I
was just wondering what would be best.

All your other answers were right on the mark -- bullseye.  Thanks a
ton.

regards,

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-07-09 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joseph McDonald <joe@smartlink.net> writes:

> I haven't but I'll look for it.  My .emacs has:
>
>    (global-set-key "\C-d" 'delete-char)
>    (global-set-key "\C-h" 'delete-backward-char)
>
> Which I stuck in there to make it work with my telnet client.  Mapping
> it to another key would be fine, and I know how to do that globally,
> but not just while in the "gnus" mode (or "gnus-summary-buffer or
> article buffer" mode)

But the summary buffer local map should override those settings.  You
haven't messed with `function-key-map' or anything like that?

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen