* Reading news 'remotely' with rsh.
@ 1996-07-05 11:40 Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1996-07-05 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well I finally decided to give the remote-foreign newsgroup thingy,
needing to login to another account to br able to read news from a
third newsserver.

First of all, reading the docs raises a couple of questions, under the
NNTP node it says:
"The following variables can be used to create a virtual `nntp'server:"
the problem is.. how do I use them?

Secondly:

The problem is that when I try to rsh -l <name> <other machine>, I
get: Protocol error, <other machine> closed connection, probably
something with our firewall. It would be nice if telnet could be used
for us people who are less worried about our passwords.

And BTW, are there any work done on a mail backend using this
technique? Would be nice ;-) Hey why not incorporate our mailboxes to
the newsspool.. send a create message to the closest server for
alt.mail.flognat@... ;-) Naah..

	/Andy

* Re: Reading news 'remotely' with rsh.
@ 1996-07-05 13:13 ` Samuel Tardieu
From: Samuel Tardieu @ 1996-07-05 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Andy> The problem is that when I try to rsh -l <name> <other machine>,
Andy> I get: Protocol error, <other machine> closed connection,
Andy> probably something with our firewall. It would be nice if telnet
Andy> could be used for us people who are less worried about our
Andy> passwords.

Protocol error with rsh means probably that the connection has been
accepted then cut (thanks to TCP wrappers ;-).

Concerning the telnet thing, have a look at the latest Gnus:

(defvoo nntp-telnet-parameters '("exec" "telnet" "${NNTPSERVER:=localhost}" "nnt
p")
  "*Parameters to `nntp-open-telnet'.
That function may be used as `nntp-open-server-function'.  In that
case, this list will be executed as a command after logging in
via telnet.")

(defvoo nntp-telnet-user-name nil
  "User name to log in via telnet with.")

(defvoo nntp-telnet-passwd nil
  "Password to use to log in via telnet with.")

    Sam
--
"La cervelle des petits enfants, ca doit avoir comme un petit gout de noisette"
                                                       Charles Baudelaire

* Re: Reading news 'remotely' with rsh.
@ 1996-07-05 13:43   ` Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1996-07-05 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

/ Samuel Tardieu <sam@inf.enst.fr> wrote:

| Concerning the telnet thing, have a look at the latest Gnus:

Ahh I thought so, saw Lars'es happy shriek, but couldn't find anything
about it in the info documents.

The first problem still exists, I know I can use it, but how do I do
:-) I would like to create a foreign group that fetches my news by
telnetting to computer A and from there to newsserver B, and don't
disturb all of my other foreign newsgroups.

It would be nice if such 'server' could be added to the 'server
list'.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-07-06  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andy Eskilsson <flognat@fukt.hk-r.se> writes:

> The first problem still exists, I know I can use it, but how do I do
> :-) I would like to create a foreign group that fetches my news by
> telnetting to computer A and from there to newsserver B, and don't
> disturb all of my other foreign newsgroups.
>
> It would be nice if such 'server' could be added to the 'server
> list'.

Go to the server buffer (`^' in the group buffer) and create the
server there.  See the manual for details.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Reading news 'remotely' with rsh.
@ 1996-07-08  7:33       ` Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1996-07-08  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

/ Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> wrote:

| Go to the server buffer (`^' in the group buffer) and create the
| server there.  See the manual for details.

The docs is very poor about how to fiddle with the params for telnet,
browsing through the source I have managed to come to the following
conclusion:

(nntp "news.solace.mh.se"
      (nntp-open-server-function 'nntp-open-telnet)
      (nntp-telnet-user-name "flognat"))

But where do I put the name of the machine to connect to? I have also
tried:

(nntp "machine.to.connect.to"
      (nntp-open-server-function
       'nntp-open-telnet)
      (nntp-telnet-user-name "flognat")
      (nntp-address "news.solace.mh.se"))

But I only get a Unable to contact server: message.

@ 1996-07-08  7:43         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-07-08  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andy Eskilsson <flognat@fukt.hk-r.se> writes:

> (nntp "news.solace.mh.se"
>       (nntp-open-server-function 'nntp-open-telnet)
>       (nntp-telnet-user-name "flognat"))
>
> But where do I put the name of the machine to connect to? I have also
> tried:

Here's one definition I use:

(nntp "uio"
      (nntp-address "wolfram.uio.no")
      (nntp-open-server-function nntp-open-telnet)
      (nntp-telnet-parameters
       ("exec" "telnet" "news.uio.no" "nntp")))

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen