* Setting the number of attempts to connect.
@ 1995-11-11 22:05 Patrick Audley
From: Patrick Audley @ 1995-11-11 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

	I'm using a dialup to get news, which works well.  Until I
started using gnus to read mail.  Now, if I'm offline and want to read
my mail, I have to wait while gnus makes 20+ called to
`open-network-stream' (which on my system means running the tcp
program).  I always connect to the nntp server on the first try (when
I'm online), so is there a way to ask gnus to only try once?  I've
tried `gnus-no-server' but this seems not to display my backends.. :(

						Thanks.

--
...    "There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
/*----------------------------------------------------------------.

* Re: Setting the number of attempts to connect.
@ 1995-11-12  2:00 ` Robert Nicholson
From: Robert Nicholson @ 1995-11-12  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Just on this point... I've also had similar problems. Sounds like
levels perhaps will help?

Anyway, my problem is that using gnus-no-server didn't work either but
in my case I have

mail groups..
local groups
nntp+externalnews groups

I want to be able to instruct GNUS to find local groups with NNTP
using INN and mailgroups but not go looking for nntp+externalnews
groups.

--
             "Mary ate a little lamb and punk rock isn't dead"
            (PGP key: send email with Subject: request pgp key)

* Re: Setting the number of attempts to connect.
@ 1995-11-13 22:48 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-11-13 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Audley <paudley@portal.ca> writes:

> 	I'm using a dialup to get news, which works well.  Until I
> started using gnus to read mail.  Now, if I'm offline and want to read
> my mail, I have to wait while gnus makes 20+ called to
> `open-network-stream' (which on my system means running the tcp
> program).  I always connect to the nntp server on the first try (when
> I'm online), so is there a way to ask gnus to only try once?  I've
> tried `gnus-no-server' but this seems not to display my backends.. :(

Put your mail groups on low levels, and all your other groups on
higher levels.  Then start Gnus with `gnus-no-server'.

--
Home is where the cat is.