From: larsi@ifi.uio.no (Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen)
Subject: Re: Sgnus 0.32 NEWS file
Date: 30 Jan 1996 17:29:56 +0100	[thread overview]

abraham@dina.kvl.dk (Per Abrahamsen) writes:

> I just upgraded from 5.1, and had a bit trouble figuring out what was
> new.  Here is a list of what I found.  Maybe it should be added to the
> distribution?

I did that same a week ago, but I was more vague on how to do things.
I mainly mentioned that things exist, without saying anything about
how to use the new things.

Here's what I wrote:

** Gnus changes.

Gnus, the Emacs newsreader, has undergone further rewriting.  Many new
commands and variables have been added.  There should be no
significant imcompatabilities between this Gnus version and the
previosly released version.

*** Gnus is now able to generate "sparse" threads -- threads where
missing articles are represented by empty nodes.

*** Partial thread regeneration now happens when articles are
referred.

*** A trn-line tree buffer can be displayed.

*** An nn-like pick-and-read minor mode is available for the summary
buffers.

*** Groups can be grouped in a folding topic hierarchy.

*** Outgoing articles are stored on a special archive server.

*** Message composition buffers autosave to a draft group, which also
stores unsent messages.

*** Gnus can resend and bounce mail.

*** Groups can now have a score, and bubbling based on entry frequency
is possible.

*** Groups can be process-marked, and commands can be performed on
groups of groups.

*** Caching is possible in virtual groups.

*** nndoc now understands all kinds of digests, mail boxes, rnews news
batches, ClariNet briefs collections, and just about everything else.

*** Gnus has a new backend (nnsoup) to create/read SOUP packets.

*** The Gnus cache is much faster.

*** Groups can be sorted according to many criteria.

*** New group parameters have been introduced to set list-address and
expiry times.

*** All formatting specs allow specifying faces to be used.

*** Variables for specifying the styles of outgoing articles are now
more easily controlled.

*** There are several more commands for setting/removing/acting on
process marked articles.

*** The summary buffer can be limited to show parts of the available
articles based on a wide range of criteria.

*** Articles can be made persinstent -- as an alternative to saving
articles.

*** All functions for hiding article elements are now toggles.

*** Article headers can be buttonized.

*** All mail backends support fetching articles by Message-ID.

*** Duplicate mail can now be treated properly.

*** All summary mode commands are available directly from the article
buffer.

*** Frames can be part of `gnus-buffer-configuration'.

*** Mail can be re-scanned by a daemonic process.

*** Gnus can make use of NoCeM files to filter spam.

*** Groups can be made permanently visible.

*** Many new hooks have been introduced to make customizing easier.

*** Gnus respects the Mail-Copies-To header.

*** Threads can be gathered by looking at the References header.

*** Read articles can be stored in a special backlog buffer to avoid
refetching.

*** A clean copy of the current article is always stored in a buffer
to allow easier treatment.

*** Gnus can suggest where to save articles, and it can save many
articles without prompting much.

*** gnus-uu can view decoded files asynchronously while fetching
articles.

*** Filling in the article buffer now works properly on cited text.

*** Hiding cited text adds buttons to toggle hiding, and how much
cited text to hide is now customizable.

*** Boring headers can be hidden.

*** Default scoring values can now be set from the menu bar.

The Gnus manual has been expanded.  It explains all these new features
in greater detail.