* Smarter nnfolder behavior requested
@ 1995-11-29 10:41 Mats Lidell
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Mats Lidell @ 1995-11-29 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

It seems like all the nnfolders are loaded into emacs even though I
don't think they need to. Couldn't ding be a bit smarter here. Things
to consider:

 * After noticing that there are no articles to read (that is a normal
   case) then it could just kill the buffer freeing some memory:

 * Keeping information like: if the nnfolder file is older then newsrc
   then nothing new has happened so no need visiting that folder.

 * Visit the folder on entry. That is visit it twice: one time when
   building the group-buffer and another time when entering the group.

Is there any other way to achieve this with the current
implementation. I like to have a lot of mail folders available
together with the local news feed but dislike the fact that it makes
my emacs really big.

%% Mats

* Re: Smarter nnfolder behavior requested
@ 1995-11-29 12:09 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1995-11-29 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Mats> Is there any other way to achieve this with the current
  Mats> implementation. I like to have a lot of mail folders available
  Mats> together with the local news feed but dislike the fact that it
  Mats> makes my emacs really big.

You can migrate your nnfolder groups to nnml which keeps an `active'
file for such information.

Use `G m' to create an nnml group.
Use `#' and `B c' to copy the articles from the nnfolder group to the
nnml group.
Delete the nnfolder group.

hth,
        \kai{}
--
Have you hugged your signature today?

* Re: Smarter nnfolder behavior requested
@ 1995-11-29 12:54   ` Mats Lidell
From: Mats Lidell @ 1995-11-29 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Kai> You can migrate your nnfolder groups to nnml which keeps an
Kai> `active' file for such information.

Thanks but this makes them a little bit to much like news for my
taste. I still want to use good old mail tools like vm on them for
other tasks.

@ 1995-11-29 14:15     ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1995-11-29 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Kai> You can migrate your nnfolder groups to nnml which keeps an
  Kai> `active' file for such information.

  Mats> Thanks but this makes them a little bit to much like news for
  Mats> my taste. I still want to use good old mail tools like vm on
  Mats> them for other tasks.

All right.  Then, I think the best way would be to use MH to convert
each folder to a number of files, to then compare the files pairwise,
delete the duplicate ones, and then use MH again to pack them together
to an mbox file.

inc can extract multiple files from an mbox file, and packf (I think)
can put them back together again.

regards,
        \kai{}
--

@ 1995-11-29 17:55 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-11-29 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mats.Lidell@eua.ericsson.se (Mats Lidell) writes:

> It seems like all the nnfolders are loaded into emacs even though I
> don't think they need to. Couldn't ding be a bit smarter here.

The things you suggest is on the list of things to be done in the
future, but since I don't use nnfolder myself, it might take a while.

--
Home is where the cat is.

* Re: Smarter nnfolder behavior requested
@ 1995-11-29 18:27       ` Scott Blachowicz
From: Scott Blachowicz @ 1995-11-29 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Mats Lidell, ding

 Kai> inc can extract multiple files from an mbox file, and packf (I think)
 Kai> can put them back together again.

Actually it's packmbox from the MH lib directory.  The packf command
doesn't spit out "mbox" files (i.e. files with "From_" headers as
delimiters)...from packf(1):

    NAME
       packf - compress an MH folder into a single file

    SYNOPSIS
       packf [+folder] [msgs] [-file name] [-help]

    DESCRIPTION
       Packf  takes  messages  from a folder and copies them to a
       single file.  Each message in the  file  is  separated  by
       four  CTRL-A's  and  a  newline.   Messages  packed can be
       unpacked using inc.

Scott Blachowicz    Ph: 206/283-8802x240    StatSci, a div of MathSoft, Inc.
                                            1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                           Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org

* Re: Smarter nnfolder behavior requested
@ 1995-11-29 22:13 ` Scott Byer
From: Scott Byer @ 1995-11-29 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Mats> Hi, It seems like all the nnfolders are loaded into emacs even though
Mats> I don't think they need to. Couldn't ding be a bit smarter
Mats> here. Things to consider:

Have you tried setting nnfolder-always-close to t?  When set to true,
nnfolder should only ever have one folder open at a time.  You will lose
some performance that way, because not a lot of information is kept.
nnfolder also is smart enough to deal with you deleting the buffers out from
underneath it.

-Scott

* Re: Smarter nnfolder behavior requested
@ 1995-11-30 11:31   ` Mats Lidell
From: Mats Lidell @ 1995-11-30 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Mats Lidell, ding

Scott> Have you tried setting nnfolder-always-close to t?

No. Typical case of RTFM!? I guess this is what I meant in my third
case of possible improvement.

Scott> When set to true, nnfolder should only ever have one folder
Scott> open at a time.

Should was the right word because it doesn't work (at least if it was
intended to work like this.) After setting nnfolder-always-close to t
I still I get all my nnfolders loaded. I was expecting one nnfolder
(the last one.) to be there but no. I get them all.

Lars> The things you suggest is on the list of things to be done in
Lars> the future, but since I don't use nnfolder myself, it might take
Lars> a while.

Does that mean Lars that the behavior with nnfolder-always-close isn't
implemented yet. (Or you could consider this as a bug-report ;-)

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-12-01  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

konmsll@eua.ericsson.se (Mats Lidell) writes:

> Scott> When set to true, nnfolder should only ever have one folder
> Scott> open at a time.
>
> Should was the right word because it doesn't work (at least if it was
> intended to work like this.) After setting nnfolder-always-close to t
> I still I get all my nnfolders loaded. I was expecting one nnfolder
> (the last one.) to be there but no. I get them all.

Whoops.  My fault; I removed the call to `gnus-close-group' from
`gnus-get-unread-articles'.  This should work better in 0.17.

I plan on adding active file support to nnfolder, which will make
startup much faster.

--
Home is where the cat is.