* Getting rid of archive virtual server
@ 1996-06-26 17:20 Kevin.Christian
From: Kevin.Christian @ 1996-06-26 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

In the "Archived Messages" node of the gnus info it says,

  Gnus provides a few different methods for storing the mail you send.
  The default method is to use the "archive virtual server" to store the
  mail.  If you want to disable this completely, you should set
  `gnus-message-archive-group' to `nil'.

So, I went ahead and declared `gnus-message-archive-group' as `nil' in
my .gnus, removed the archive virtual server from my server buffer and
rmdir ~/Mail/archive. Nevertheless, the next time I run gnus both the
virtual server and ~/Mail/archive are back. It seems setting
`gnus-message-archive-group' to `nil' is not as complete a solution as
the manual says.

Are there other variables I should be setting in order to get rid
of archive once and for all?

Kevin

* Re: Getting rid of archive virtual server
@ 1996-06-26 19:28 ` Philippe Troin
From: Philippe Troin @ 1996-06-26 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    Kevin> In the "Archived Messages" node of the gnus info it says,

[extract of Gnus manual snipped...]

    Kevin> So, I went ahead and declared `gnus-message-archive-group'
    Kevin> as `nil' in my .gnus, removed the archive virtual server
    Kevin> from my server buffer and rmdir
    Kevin> ~/Mail/archive. Nevertheless, the next time I run gnus both
    Kevin> the virtual server and ~/Mail/archive are back. It seems
    Kevin> setting `gnus-message-archive-group' to `nil' is not as
    Kevin> complete a solution as the manual says.

    Kevin> Are there other variables I should be setting in order to
    Kevin> get rid of archive once and for all?

I had a hard time getting rid of these ~/Mail and ~/News directories
created each time I started gnus... (I even poked into the obarray
searching for these strings).

You should set gnus-message-archive-method to nil too...

BTW, I have a list of variables to set so that ~/Mail and ~/News
disappear definitively, in case you're interested.

Phil.

* Re: Getting rid of archive virtual server
@ 1996-06-26 19:42 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-26 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin.Christian@symbios.com writes:

> Are there other variables I should be setting in order to get rid
> of archive once and for all?

Try setting `gnus-opened-servers' to nil as well.  (*sigh*).

By the way, I'm now changing the default of
`gnus-message-archive-group' to nil.  There will be no Gcc header and
no archive server activated by default.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen