* Re: gnus-topic open-topic indicator
       [not found]   ` <r1x91m1so3s.fsf@hpsdlgf8.sdd.hp.com>
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-11-02  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Disser <disser@sdd.hp.com> writes:

> > What about mimicking Emacs' selective display feature and use a trailing "
> > ..." for closed topics? That would have a similar look and feel like
> > various other folding modes (outline-mode, Hyperbole's kotl-mode,
> > hs-minor-mode).
> >
> > Related question: would it make sense to (re)use selective display or an
> > existing folding mode?
>
> That's a departure from the code that's already there, which is
> is more consistent with the way summary buffers have always been
> generated.

Uhm... this is for the group buffer, not the summary buffers, right?
In which case adding "..." for "folded" topics sounds very Emacsy,
which makes it The Right Thing To Do, I think.

--
Home is where the cat is.

* Re: gnus-topic open-topic indicator
@ 1995-11-02  6:35       ` Dave Disser
From: Dave Disser @ 1995-11-02  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > > What about mimicking Emacs' selective display feature and use a trailing "
> > > ..." for closed topics? That would have a similar look and feel like
> > > various other folding modes (outline-mode, Hyperbole's kotl-mode,
> > > hs-minor-mode).
> > >
> > > Related question: would it make sense to (re)use selective display or an
> > > existing folding mode?
> >
> > That's a departure from the code that's already there, which is
> > is more consistent with the way summary buffers have always been
> > generated.
>
> Uhm... this is for the group buffer, not the summary buffers, right?
> In which case adding "..." for "folded" topics sounds very Emacsy,
> which makes it The Right Thing To Do, I think.

Oops, I answered the second question instead of the first.  I agree
the ... is more Emacsy.

--Dave

* Re: gnus-topic open-topic indicator
@ 1995-11-02  6:39       ` Dave Disser
From: Dave Disser @ 1995-11-02  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Uhm... this is for the group buffer, not the summary buffers, right?
> In which case adding "..." for "folded" topics sounds very Emacsy,
> which makes it The Right Thing To Do, I think.

More on this...  Maybe a gnus-topic-line-format is the righter thing
to do?

--Dave

* Re: gnus-topic open-topic indicator
@ 1995-11-02  7:27         ` Sudish Joseph
From: Sudish Joseph @ 1995-11-02  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Disser writes:
> More on this...  Maybe a gnus-topic-line-format is the righter thing
> to do?

Yes, please!  I can see the eventual addition of unread/marked article
totals (for subsumed groups) to the closed topic line in the group
buffer; implementing it this way allows for future functionality.

Another cool topics feature would be to allow interactive movement of
groups between topics.  I.e., we might overload Cut (C-k, C-w) and
Paste (C-y) so that the group gets inserted into the topic it was
yanked under.  This isn't very hard, we just have to add an entry to
the group parameter list at yank time.

The only issue is how to specify it doesn't belong to another topic.
For instance, you might have gnu.emacs.gnus under your `Emacs' topic
(having been put there via gnus-group-topics rather than a group
parameter), yanking this under your `Newsreaders' topics would leave a
copy under the old topic.

Not a big thing, but it would complicate (and/or seriously slow down)
the update of read/ticked article counts (if they get added).  Hmm,
maybe add a parameter to indicate that the group should belong to just
the one topic?  Or just use the existence of a topic parameter to
determine this (i.e., ignore gnus-group-topics for such groups)?

Actually, the interaction between gnus-group-topics and group
parameter entries should probably be settled before doing the above.

-Sudish

* Re: gnus-topic open-topic indicator
@ 1995-11-06 13:32           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-11-06 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sudish Joseph <joseph@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

> Dave Disser writes:
> > More on this...  Maybe a gnus-topic-line-format is the righter thing
> > to do?
>
> Yes, please!  I can see the eventual addition of unread/marked article
> totals (for subsumed groups) to the closed topic line in the group
> buffer; implementing it this way allows for future functionality.

Yup; I agree.  I've added it to the ever-expanding todo list.  Hm.  I
think I should try to implement some more stuff from that list
soonish, but I'm kinda busy at the moment...

> Another cool topics feature would be to allow interactive movement of
> groups between topics.  I.e., we might overload Cut (C-k, C-w) and
> Paste (C-y) so that the group gets inserted into the topic it was
> yanked under.  This isn't very hard, we just have to add an entry to
> the group parameter list at yank time.

Yes, that sounds like a good idea as well.

gnus-topic is an obviously Good Idea, but I'm wondering whether we
should try do generalize this stuff more.  If somebody comes up with a
different scheme for partitioning the group buffer, it might be better
if we had something more general in store...

Or maybe not.  Perhaps just a simple "flat" group buffer and a
"folded" one is all that we need.

> Not a big thing, but it would complicate (and/or seriously slow down)
> the update of read/ticked article counts (if they get added).  Hmm,
> maybe add a parameter to indicate that the group should belong to just
> the one topic?  Or just use the existence of a topic parameter to
> determine this (i.e., ignore gnus-group-topics for such groups)?
>
> Actually, the interaction between gnus-group-topics and group
> parameter entries should probably be settled before doing the above.

Yes...  Isn't it the case that if a group has a topic group parameter
and `gnus-topic-unique', then this won't really be a problem?  The
group parameter is checked before checking `gnus-group-topics'?

--
Home is where the cat is.

* Re: gnus-topic open-topic indicator
@ 1995-11-06 14:02             ` Luis Fernandes
From: Luis Fernandes @ 1995-11-06 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    > gnus-topic is an obviously Good Idea, ...

Some features I can forsee resulting from the gnus-topic
implementation:

- dired like navigation, with hierarchies of topics (for Xemacs users
  we can even add cute glyphs of tiny folders besides each topic so
  they can click on them);

- and peeking into topics (clicking on a topic, splits the window in
  half and the contents of the folder are displayed in the new
  window)

* Re: gnus-topic open-topic indicator
@ 1995-11-06 16:04             ` Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1995-11-06 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

/ larsi@ifi.uio.no (Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen) wrote:

| Or maybe not.  Perhaps just a simple "flat" group buffer and a
| "folded" one is all that we need.

It just struck me, isn't this something that the folding-mode in emacs
can handle? (Don't remember the name at the moment)

	/andy

* Re: gnus-topic open-topic indicator
@ 1995-11-10  1:09               ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-11-10  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andy (Flognat) Eskilsson <mpt95aes@pt.hk-r.se> writes:

> It just struck me, isn't this something that the folding-mode in emacs
> can handle? (Don't remember the name at the moment)

"Selective display."  Well, it could, but not really.  :-)

Or, it almost would work, but it wouldn't work as well as one would
want it to.

--
Home is where the cat is.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-11-10  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

elf@mailhost.ee.ryerson.ca (Luis Fernandes) writes:

> Some features I can forsee resulting from the gnus-topic
> implementation:
>
> - dired like navigation, with hierarchies of topics (for Xemacs users
>   we can even add cute glyphs of tiny folders besides each topic so
>   they can click on them);

Hey... yes, having a hierarchical folding mode thing would make things
more exciting.

Like this simulated group buffer:

--
a\bal\blt\bt
c\bco\bom\bmp\bp

You click alt, and you get

--
a\bal\blt\bt
a\bal\blt\bt.\b.f\bfa\ban\bn

Then you click on alt.fan and get

--
a\bal\blt\bt
a\bal\blt\bt.\b.f\bfa\ban\bn

(This article has been enhanced for reading with Gnus. :-)

The hierarchies don't have to be along the lines of the usenet news
hierarchy, of course.

--
Home is where the cat is.

* Re: gnus-topic open-topic indicator
@ 1995-11-10  3:02                 ` Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1995-11-10  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

/ larsi@ifi.uio.no (Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen) wrote:

| Hey... yes, having a hierarchical folding mode thing would make things
| more exciting.
|
| Like this simulated group buffer:
|
| [... snipped hierachy folding the groups by name ...]

Yes I know that I am booring, but I still want to specify by myself
how I would like to fold my groups, not only by news-hierarchy, but by
mail/programming(alt.python, comp.lang.c++)/sounds/fun(comp.fun,
alt.suburban.legends) and so on.

	/andy

* Re: gnus-topic open-topic indicator
@ 1995-11-11 18:42                   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-11-11 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andy (Flognat) Eskilsson <mpt95aes@pt.hk-r.se> writes:

> Yes I know that I am booring, but I still want to specify by myself
> how I would like to fold my groups, not only by news-hierarchy, but by
> mail/programming(alt.python, comp.lang.c++)/sounds/fun(comp.fun,
> alt.suburban.legends) and so on.

Yes.  I was just giving an example of how one might use it; I did not
mean to imply that a hierarchical gnus-topic should have to mimic the
usenet hierarchy.

--
Home is where the cat is.