* trees are cool, but sometimes they're more cool than other times
@ 1996-01-17 16:11 Greg Stark
From: Greg Stark @ 1996-01-17 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hmm, Lars, it would be nice if I could specify that if the tree was just one
or two articles long to just hide the tree buffer.

Hmm, does anyone have any good way to vary the window configuration based on
the group or other characteristics?  Note that I don't think this would be a
good replacement for the above suggestion.  I'm thinking I may want only the
tree in some buffers and only the summary in others.

--
greg

* Re: trees are cool, but sometimes they're more cool than other times
@ 1996-01-17 19:36 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-01-17 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

gsstark@MIT.EDU (Greg Stark) writes:

> Hmm, Lars, it would be nice if I could specify that if the tree was just one
> or two articles long to just hide the tree buffer.

I think that might be even more confusing than it currently is...

> Hmm, does anyone have any good way to vary the window configuration based on
> the group or other characteristics?  Note that I don't think this would be a
> good replacement for the above suggestion.  I'm thinking I may want only the
> tree in some buffers and only the summary in others.

You can add random elisp forms to the buffer configuration.  This is
the default value of the `article' config:

(gnus-add-configuration
    '(article
     (cond
      (gnus-use-picons
       '(frame 1.0
	       (vertical 1.0
			 (summary 0.25 point)
			 (if gnus-carpal '(summary-carpal 4))
			 (article 1.0))
	       (vertical '((height . 5) (width . 15)
			   (user-position . t)
			   (left . -1) (top . 1))
			 (picons 1.0))))
      (gnus-use-trees
       '(vertical 1.0
		  (summary 0.25 point)
		  (tree 0.25)
		  (article 1.0)))
      (t
       '(vertical 1.0
		 (summary 0.25 point)
		 (if gnus-carpal '(summary-carpal 4))
		 (if gnus-use-trees '(tree 0.25))
		 (article 1.0)))))

Just add checks for group names (or whatever).  Go wild.  :-)

--
Home is where the cat is.