* auto-expiry and "d"
@ 1996-07-02  9:09 Michael Sperber [Mr. Preprocessor]
From: Michael Sperber [Mr. Preprocessor] @ 1996-07-02  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

The documentation is unclear if auto-expiry will affect only articles
actually really read or also those marked by
gnus-summary-mark-as-read-xxx.  The implementation says auto-expiry is
only for articles actually really read:

(defun gnus-summary-mark-as-read-forward (n)
  "Mark N articles as read forwards.
If N is negative, mark backwards instead.
The difference between N and the actual number of articles marked is
returned."
  (interactive "p")
  (gnus-summary-mark-forward n gnus-del-mark t))

This somehow is against my intuition.  If I mark an article as read
even without having actually really read it, I want all the
consequences associated with actual real reading to happen.

Bug or feature?

Cheers =8-} Mike

* Re: auto-expiry and "d"
@ 1996-07-02 10:36 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-07-02 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Mike> The documentation is unclear if auto-expiry will affect only
  Mike> articles actually really read or also those marked by
  Mike> gnus-summary-mark-as-read-xxx. [...]

There is auto-expire, and then there's total-expire.  These two are
different:

auto-expire means that a message that you read is automatically marked
as expirable (`E').  (In any case, you can mark a message as expirable
by hitting `E'.)

total-expire means that messages that are marked as read (marked `r'
or `R') are treated as if they were expirable.

Both of these have their justificiation, but are also the subject of
much confusion among new users.  Please note that Gnus has started
being a news reader, and news articles behave such that they are
expired at some time by the news server.  The individual user has no
control over whether an article is expired or not, or when it is
expired.  The only thing a newsreader can do is to decide which
articles have already been seen by a user (`read' messages) and which
ones haven't (`unread' ones).

Now, for mail the situation is different:  The individual user has
control over whether messages are deleted, and the user should have
that control, too.  Therefore, a simple approach would be to let the
user mark articles as `expirable' (by hitting `E'), and letting Gnus
then delete them.  From there, you get to the current situation when
you add features.

I use the total-expire mechanism with some add-ons.  I decide between
mail groups that I treat like news groups (messages are usually read and
then disappear automatically from the disk), and those that I treat as
`important' mail (messages must be explicitly deleted to be deleted
from disk).  I do this by defining a function
kai-gnus-newsgroup-style-group like so:

(defun kai-gnus-newsgroup-style-group (groupname)
  (if (string-match "^nn\\(ml\\|db\\(\\+[a-z]*\\)?\\):" groupname)
      (if (string-match "^nn\\(ml\\|db\\(\\+[a-z]*\\)?\\):auto" groupname)
        nil)
    t))

This basically says that mail groups are `important' unless their name
begins with `auto', then they are treated like news groups.  My mail
filtering mechanism puts all the mailing list mail into "nnml:auto.*"
groups.

I use this function for initially marking articles when I look at
them, like so:

(defun kai-gnus-mark-article-hook ()
  (if (and (not (or (memq gnus-current-article gnus-newsgroup-marked)
		    (memq gnus-current-article gnus-newsgroup-dormant)
		    (memq gnus-current-article gnus-newsgroup-expirable)
		    (memq gnus-current-article gnus-newsgroup-ancient)
                    (memq gnus-current-article gnus-newsgroup-reads))))
           (if (kai-gnus-newsgroup-style-group gnus-newsgroup-name)
               (gnus-summary-mark-unread-as-read)
             (gnus-summary-tick-article))))
(add-hook 'gnus-mark-article-hook 'kai-gnus-mark-article-hook)

I also use the function for defining my own functions for `n' and `p',
but that is just the icing on the cake.

You can use whichever part of this you like, or you might want to go
for a simpler mechanism.  After all, when you have such strange
behavior, you always have to be aware of what it does, otherwise you
will be quite surprised sometime...

I'm not sure if this could be made into a more general mechanism and
incorporated into Gnus.  As it stands it seems more or less like a
kludge.

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: auto-expiry and "d"
@ 1996-07-02 11:29   ` Michael Sperber [Mr. Preprocessor]
From: Michael Sperber [Mr. Preprocessor] @ 1996-07-02 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Mike> The documentation is unclear if auto-expiry will affect only
Mike> articles actually really read or also those marked by
Mike> gnus-summary-mark-as-read-xxx. [...]

kai> There is auto-expire, and then there's total-expire.  These two are
kai> different:

kai> auto-expire means that a message that you read is automatically marked
kai> as expirable (`E').  (In any case, you can mark a message as expirable
kai> by hitting `E'.)

kai> total-expire means that messages that are marked as read (marked `r'
kai> or `R') are treated as if they were expirable.

That's not the issue, however.  I understand what total-expire and
auto-expire do, but the documentation for total-expire and auto-expire
doesn't explain what their definition of "read" is.  It could easily
be explained, and the confusion would go away.

Cheers =8-} Mike

* Re: auto-expiry and "d"
@ 1996-07-02 13:54     ` Richard Pieri
From: Richard Pieri @ 1996-07-02 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

MS[P> That's not the issue, however.  I understand what total-expire and
MS[P> auto-expire do, but the documentation for total-expire and
MS[P> auto-expire doesn't explain what their definition of "read" is.
MS[P> It could easily be explained, and the confusion would go away.

- From the Gnus manual:

Read Articles
- -------------

   All the following marks mark articles as read.

`D'
     Articles that are marked as read.  They have a `r'
     (`gnus-del-mark') in the first column.  These are articles that the
     user has marked as read more or less manually.

`d'
     Articles that are actually read are marked with `R'
     (`gnus-read-mark').

`A'
     Articles that were marked as read in previous sessions are now
     "old" and marked with `O' (`gnus-ancient-mark').

`K'
     Marked as killed (`gnus-killed-mark').

`X'
     Marked as killed by kill files (`gnus-kill-file-mark').

`Y'
     Marked as read by having a too low score (`gnus-low-score-mark').

`C'
     Marked as read by a catchup (`gnus-catchup-mark').

`G'
     Canceled article (`gnus-cancelled-mark')

[...]

`E'
     You can also mark articles as "expirable" (or have them marked as
     such automatically).  That doesn't make much sense in normal
     groups, because a user does not control the expiring of news
     articles, but in mail groups, for instance, articles that are
     marked as "expirable" can be deleted by Gnus at any time.
     Expirable articles are marked with `E' (`gnus-expirable-mark').

--
Richard Pieri/Information Services \ Make your mark in the world, or at least
<ratinox@unilab.dfci.harvard.edu>   \ spray in each corner. -A cat's guide to

* Re: auto-expiry and "d"
@ 1996-07-02 15:22       ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-07-02 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Richard> - From the Gnus manual:

  Richard> Read Articles
  Richard> - -------------

  Richard>    All the following marks mark articles as read. [...]

Maybe so.  But the point is that for auto-expirable groups, reading an
article (that is, selecting it when marked as unread) DOES NOT MARK
THE ARTICLE AS READ!  It marks the article as expirable instead.

Thus, the definition of reading an article in this context is: when an
article is unread (fresh, marked with ?\ (SPC), has never been seen
before, has all marks cleared with M-u, whatever) is selected (by
clicking mouse-2 in the summary buffer, by using `.' or `,' or `g', or
with `n', or with SPC) and thereby displayed in the article buffer.

I don't know how to express this in an understandable way. :-(

Am I wrong?
kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: auto-expiry and "d"
@ 1996-07-02 15:37         ` Richard Pieri
From: Richard Pieri @ 1996-07-02 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Richard Pieri/Information Services \ Variety is the spice of life: one day
<ratinox@unilab.dfci.harvard.edu>   \ ignore people, the next day annoy

* Re: auto-expiry and "d"
@ 1996-07-03  0:24   ` Darren/Torin/Who Ever...
From: Darren/Torin/Who Ever... @ 1996-07-03  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Michael Sperber [Mr. Preprocessor], ding

* Re: auto-expiry and "d"
@ 1996-07-03  9:30     ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-07-03  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kai Grossjohann, Michael Sperber [Mr. Preprocessor], ding

  Darren> Here's an interesting question that I've been pondering.  Is
  Darren> there a way to convince Gnus to treat all articles in a
  Darren> mailgroup to be expirable?  I've pondered this and haven't
  Darren> come up with anything.  I currently have a reaper perl
  Darren> script but it'd be nice to have Gnus handle it.

Not quite.  But you can make the group total-expire.  Then all you
need to do is to catch up the group.  All unread articles will be
marked as read, thus they will be expirable.

I think that comes close enough, don't you think?
kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: auto-expiry and "d"
@ 1996-07-03 17:11       ` Darren/Torin/Who Ever...
From: Darren/Torin/Who Ever... @ 1996-07-03 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Darren/Torin/Who Ever..., Michael Sperber [Mr. Preprocessor], ding

* Re: auto-expiry and "d"
@ 1996-07-04  2:46         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-07-04  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Darren/Torin/Who Ever..." <torin@daft.com> writes:

> The big problem with this is that I now have all this articles marked as
> read that I may want to read later that aren't expired.    I guess I am
> asking too much.  After all, I don't ask Gnus to expire off my unread
> news articles.

I'm not sure what you're asking here.  You asked for a way to expire
all read articles?  That's what `total-expire' does...

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: auto-expiry and "d"
@ 1996-07-04  7:40           ` Darren/Torin/Who Ever...
From: Darren/Torin/Who Ever... @ 1996-07-04  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

* Re: auto-expiry and "d"
@ 1996-07-05  1:08             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-07-05  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Darren/Torin/Who Ever..." <torin@daft.com> writes:

> No, what I'm looking for is a way to expire -unread- mail messages.

Oh, right.  Yes, ok.  I've added this to the Red Gnus todo list.  What
should the group parameter be called?  `absofucking-total-expire'?  :-)

@ 1996-07-05 13:13               ` Richard Pieri
From: Richard Pieri @ 1996-07-05 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Richard Pieri/Information Services \ Always give generously - a small bird or
<ratinox@unilab.dfci.harvard.edu>   \ rodent left on the bed tells them, "I

* Re: auto-expiry and "d"
@ 1996-07-06  2:34                 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-07-06  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Pieri <ratinox@unilab.dfci.harvard.edu> writes:

> This is something more than just expiry of read articles, it is the
> nuking of unread articles as well... so call it 'nuke-unread'.

Or rather `nuke-everything'.  :-)

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen