* Thread sorting questions in 5.2.x
@ 1996-06-24 20:50 Sten Drescher
From: Sten Drescher @ 1996-06-24 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

	I brought this up in the early-to-mid sgnus versions
(Dec-Jan), then was off the list for a couple of months, so I don't
know if/how this got resolved, so I'm asking now:

	1) The same method was used for sorting threads and sorting orphans
within adopting threads.  Has this been changed, allowing you to sort
gathered orphans by date and threads by score, or is it still a single
sort method?

	2) gnus-thread-total-score used to return only 'legitimate'
articles' scores, not adopted articles in the total.  Has this been
changed, or is it possible to specify which?

	I ask for two situations: a) newsgroups with short expiration
times, so many articles get orphaned quickly (alt.sysadmin.recovery is
this way here), and b) mailing lists which don't pass References, so
everything is orphaned.  I'd like to be able to sort threads by the
average score, but if gnus-thread-total-score only returns the
'legitimate' scores, and the gathered sort uses the same method as
thread sort, I'll end up with threads with one person I score high at
the top of the buffer, even if most of the conversationalists are
scored low.

--
+----------------------  Tivoli Customer Support  ----------------------+
|   Sten Drescher                     Tivoli Systems, Inc               |

* Re: Thread sorting questions in 5.2.x
@ 1996-06-26 19:17 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-26 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sten Drescher <sten.drescher@tivoli.com> writes:

> 	1) The same method was used for sorting threads and sorting orphans
> within adopting threads.  Has this been changed, allowing you to sort
> gathered orphans by date and threads by score, or is it still a single
> sort method?

Within a gathered thread, all articles are sorted by number.

> 	2) gnus-thread-total-score used to return only 'legitimate'
> articles' scores, not adopted articles in the total.  Has this been
> changed, or is it possible to specify which?

It has not been fixed.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Thread sorting questions in 5.2.x
@ 1996-06-27  3:01   ` Firebeard
From: Firebeard @ 1996-06-27  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

LMI> Sten Drescher <sten.drescher@tivoli.com> writes:

>> 2) gnus-thread-total-score used to return only 'legitimate'
>> articles' scores, not adopted articles in the total.  Has this been
>> changed, or is it possible to specify which?

LMI> It has not been fixed.

	Red Gnus wish list?

--
#include <disclaimer.h>                               /* Sten Drescher */
ObCDABait:      For she doted upon their paramours, whose flesh is as the

* Re: Thread sorting questions in 5.2.x
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-27 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Firebeard <stend@grendel.austin.texas.net> writes:

> LMI> Sten Drescher <sten.drescher@tivoli.com> writes:
>
> >> 2) gnus-thread-total-score used to return only 'legitimate'
> >> articles' scores, not adopted articles in the total.  Has this been
> >> changed, or is it possible to specify which?
>
> LMI> It has not been fixed.
>
> 	Red Gnus wish list?

I don't know, really.  When summing up scores of threads, it's not
clear that's a natural thing to do.

@ 1996-06-28  5:32   ` Yair Friedman
From: Yair Friedman @ 1996-06-28  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> Sten Drescher <sten.drescher@tivoli.com> writes:
>
> > 	1) The same method was used for sorting threads and sorting orphans
> > within adopting threads.  Has this been changed, allowing you to sort
> > gathered orphans by date and threads by score, or is it still a single
> > sort method?
>
> Within a gathered thread, all articles are sorted by number.

Will it be difficult ro customise this?  Sorting by date would be nice too.

--
Yair.

* Re: Thread sorting questions in 5.2.x
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-28 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yair Friedman <yfriedma@johnbryce.co.il> writes:

> > Within a gathered thread, all articles are sorted by number.
>
> Will it be difficult ro customise this?  Sorting by date would be nice too.

I've now added this to the Red Gnus todo list.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen