* suggestion: gnus-reconnect
@ 1996-01-31  6:58 Mark Denovich
From: Mark Denovich @ 1996-01-31  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am connected through a dynamic PPP link...  So whenever the link
goes down I have to kill gnus and then restart it when the link comes
back up since it tries to access the nntp server using my old IP
address.

I'd like a command to have it open a new connection to the server and
throw away the old one.

Can someone do this?

Is there a better way?

	--Mark

* Re: suggestion: gnus-reconnect
@ 1996-01-31 20:46 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-01-31 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Denovich <madst38@pitt.edu> writes:

> I am connected through a dynamic PPP link...  So whenever the link
> goes down I have to kill gnus and then restart it when the link comes
> back up since it tries to access the nntp server using my old IP
> address.
>
> I'd like a command to have it open a new connection to the server and
> throw away the old one.

I think Gnus should be able to reconnect to the server automatically.
In fact, I thought it did that.  :-)

nntp.el just uses `open-network-stream' to connect to the server.
There is no parameter to that function to specify what the address of
the host machine is -- so what happens?  Does it try to connect and
then hangs forever?  I have no experience with dynamic ppp
connections...