* Can I use neething to do this....
@ 1996-01-31  6:55 Mark Denovich
From: Mark Denovich @ 1996-01-31  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was thinking it would be really cool to have a newsgroup
representing my home directory on a remote machine.  This way I'd have
point and click access to my files by using ange-ftp and nneething.

I set the address to /username@host:~  but it seems to fetch the full
file for everyfile...

I guess I could just make a menu-button with dired and ange-ftp...  I
just like telling my friends the crazy things that can be done with a
newsreader.

	--Mark

* Re: Can I use neething to do this....
@ 1996-01-31 20:46 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-01-31 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Denovich <madst38@pitt.edu> writes:

> I was thinking it would be really cool to have a newsgroup
> representing my home directory on a remote machine.  This way I'd have
> point and click access to my files by using ange-ftp and nneething.
>
> I set the address to /username@host:~  but it seems to fetch the full
> file for everyfile...

Yes, it tries to compile something that looks like a summary buffer,
so it reads the first 2k bytes (I think) of every file.  Of course,
ange-ftp doesn't allow that -- it fetches the complete file.

> I guess I could just make a menu-button with dired and ange-ftp...  I
> just like telling my friends the crazy things that can be done with a
> newsreader.

dired really is better than nneething to browse directories, strangely
enough.  :-)