* Mime unreadable stuff in headers?
@ 1996-07-04 15:07 Lars Balker Rasmussen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Balker Rasmussen @ 1996-07-04 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

What happened to the decoding of the horrible "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Bj=F8rn?="
stuff, that some tortured and misguided souls put in headers?

I remember putting `gnus-mime-decode-quoted-printable' in
`gnus-article-prepare-hook' and `gnus-parse-headers-hook' to decode it,
but had to remove them again at some point as I got errors entering
summaries and viewing articles :-/

So, what alternative do I have to get rid of them?  Why isn't the
decoding of them standard behaviour (it being the most convenient for
all parties), or if it is the default, what did I somehow overwrite?
--
Lars Balker Rasmussen
<URL:http://www.daimi.aau.dk/~gnort/>  <URL:mailto:lars@rasmussen.org>

* Mime unreadable stuff in headers?
@ 1996-07-04 15:33 ` Unknown
From: Unknown @ 1996-07-04 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    Lars> What happened to the decoding of the horrible
    Lars> "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Bj=F8rn?=" stuff, that some tortured and
    Lars> misguided souls put in headers?

i agree... it seems that this problem gets worse and worse... i just
had to turn off mime because i could not decode this type of
message...

i would be greatly interested in a fix to this problem as i enjoy and
use this package quite alot...

    Lars> I remember putting `gnus-mime-decode-quoted-printable' in
    Lars> `gnus-article-prepare-hook' and `gnus-parse-headers-hook' to
    Lars> decode it, but had to remove them again at some point as I
    Lars> got errors entering summaries and viewing articles :-/

    Lars> So, what alternative do I have to get rid of them?  Why
    Lars> isn't the decoding of them standard behaviour (it being the
    Lars> most convenient for all parties), or if it is the default,
    Lars> what did I somehow overwrite?  Lars Balker Rasmussen
    Lars> <URL:http://www.daimi.aau.dk/~gnort/>
    Lars> <URL:mailto:lars@rasmussen.org>

i to would be interested in a fix...

thanks in advance...
andreas

   Steller Computer Consultants	 	Andreas Kaempf
	P.O. BOX 3873
     Nashua, NH 03062  USA	      akaempf@sccon.com

* Re: Mime unreadable stuff in headers?
@ 1996-07-04 19:43 ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-07-04 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars> What happened to the decoding of the horrible
Lars> "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Bj=F8rn?=" stuff, that some tortured and
Lars> misguided souls put in headers?

Proper decoding is being worked on.  You need to use tm with Gnus though.
See:
	http://www.miranova.com/~steve/gnus-local.html
for some screen dumps on how ISO-2022-JP (as one example) is
*supposed* to look.  :-)

--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be proofread for $250/hour.

* Re: Mime unreadable stuff in headers?
@ 1996-07-05  1:17 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-07-05  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Balker Rasmussen <gnort@daimi.aau.dk> writes:

> I remember putting `gnus-mime-decode-quoted-printable' in
> `gnus-article-prepare-hook' and `gnus-parse-headers-hook' to decode it,
> but had to remove them again at some point as I got errors entering
> summaries and viewing articles :-/

By default, `gnus-parse-headers-hook' is `gnus-decode-rfc1522', which
should remove all the ?iso-8859-??? stuff from the summary buffer...

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Mime unreadable stuff in headers?
@ 1996-07-05  7:29   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1996-07-05  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> What happened to the decoding of the horrible
Lars> "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Bj=F8rn?=" stuff, that some tortured and
Lars> misguided souls put in headers?

> i agree... it seems that this problem gets worse and worse... i just
> had to turn off mime because i could not decode this type of
> message...

Er... turn off MIME...?  Why...?

If you mean for sending, then you can put the following in your
~/.emacs (I hope Morioka Tomohiko won't be too unhappy with me
revealing this, but it is actually to recommend for a Dane using ISO
8859-1 on USENET from a vanilla GNU Emacs)

(add-hook 'message-setup-hook
      (lambda ()
	; Avoid posting Q-P
	(mime-editor/toggle-transfer-level 8)
	; Avoid having USENET headers RFC 1522 encoded
	 (setq mime/no-encoding-header-fields
	       (append mime/no-encoding-header-fields
		       '("Subject" "From" "To" "In-Reply-To")))
	 ))

* Re: Mime unreadable stuff in headers?
@ 1996-07-05 11:18   ` Lars Balker Rasmussen
From: Lars Balker Rasmussen @ 1996-07-05 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:
> By default, `gnus-parse-headers-hook' is `gnus-decode-rfc1522', which
> should remove all the ?iso-8859-??? stuff from the summary buffer...

Ah, yes, silly me.  I had overwritten gnus-parse-headers-hook.  Duh.

This doesn't help the situation in the Article buffer, though, which
gnus-mime-decode-quoted-printable used to do.  Any hope here, or do we
have to wait for full Mime-support?

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-07-06  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Balker Rasmussen <gnort@daimi.aau.dk> writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:
> > By default, `gnus-parse-headers-hook' is `gnus-decode-rfc1522', which
> > should remove all the ?iso-8859-??? stuff from the summary buffer...
>
> Ah, yes, silly me.  I had overwritten gnus-parse-headers-hook.  Duh.
>
> This doesn't help the situation in the Article buffer, though, which
> gnus-mime-decode-quoted-printable used to do.  Any hope here, or do we
> have to wait for full Mime-support?

No, you can use that function in `gnus-article-display-hook' as well.

@ 1996-07-13 20:37     ` Unknown
From: Unknown @ 1996-07-13 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    Lars> What happened to the decoding of the horrible
    Lars> "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Bj=F8rn?=" stuff, that some tortured and
    Lars> misguided souls put in headers?

    >> i agree... it seems that this problem gets worse and worse... i
    >> just had to turn off mime because i could not decode this type
    >> of message...

    Steinar> Er... turn off MIME...?  Why...?

sorry about the late response but i just got back from holiday...

the problem i am experiencing is still here even with the
7.71.release... seems i get some messages that have weird x-face info
and i can not read them... everything seems to hang when i try to read
it until i do a quit (control-g) and then pass over the message or
delete it...

this problem does not happen when i just use vm with mime turned off
to read my email messages...

has anyone else had this happen and found a fix for this...  this is
the only problem i have with tm... i think it is an excellent
package...  i would just like to be able to use it all the time....

andreas