From: larsi@ifi.uio.no (Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen)
Subject: Manual examples
Date: 14 Feb 1996 17:06:37 +0100	[thread overview]

I'm still fiddling with the manual, and I'd like to add more examples
and stuff.  The problem is that I don't quite know where examples are
needed.  Things that seem totally obvious to me might extremely vague
to others.  So -- I call upon y'all to let me know where in the manual
more examples are needed.  The more specific you are, the easier it'll
be for me.

It has been suggested a few times that one should include some sort of
example .gnus file.  That might also be a good idea, perhaps.  You
know:

;; Read only active info on subscribed groups.
(setq gnus-read-active-file 'some)

;; Use adopting gathering.
(setq gnus-summary-make-false-roots 'adopt)

And so on.  I don't want to write something like that, of course, but
perhaps somebody else feels the call?  And then I'll include that file
as an appendix to the manual.

(On the other hand, including an example .gnus is virtually saying to
people "Don't read the manual; just cut'n'paste these things, even if
you don't quite know what they do".  Might not be a good idea after
all.)