From: larsi@ifi.uio.no (Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen)
Subject: Re: Sparse threads
Date: 20 Jan 1996 06:25:06 +0100	[thread overview]

gsstark@MIT.EDU (Greg Stark) writes:

> i am now looking at article 3:
>   [1] - [2]
>     \ - [3]
> i believe with a setting of t (equivalent of 'some) it will show me [1] but
> not [2], the old reply.  in other words, sparse threads will get me:
>   [1] - [3]
> i think it is relatively important to know that i've already seen a reply.

September 0.30 allows a `more' value to `gnus-build-sparse-threads'
that won't cut off these leaf nodes.

> the other scenario is in my mail groups. a lot of the mail in my
> mail box consists of replies to mail i sent out.  the mail i sent
> out isn't in my mail box of course, but it is (now) stored in the
> mail archive.  it would be nice if gnus would check for any missing
> article msg-id's in the outgoing mail (and maybe news) archive.
> This would actually make sparse threads useful in mail groups;
> currently all it does is make a lot of pieces of mail take two
> lines, one of which is mostly content-free.

Uhm.  I don't think Gnus should go check the archive group; that would
take too long.  However, you will be able to select these sparse nodes
in the future, and that selection is done on Message-ID.  So you could
just set `gnus-refer-article-method' to the archive server in you mail
groups, and *presto*.  This'll fill out the line in the summary buffer
with the proper information, even.

--
Home is where the cat is.