* New things, new things
@ 1995-12-18 23:59 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-12-18 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I didn't make the "hide" functions into toggles; instead they all take
a prefix to mean "show what I hid last time".  (All the hiding
functions add a text prop to the text they hide to differentiate who
hid what.)

The todo list is down to just 56 items!  (Whew.)  Mind you, I'm just
writing the stuff, so testing it properly and making it all work will
probably take months, nay centuries.

I was planning to do some work between Xmas and the new year, but it
seems the only computer I'll be able to borrow is a machine that runs
MS Windows '96.  (The horror!  The horror!)  Does Emacs even run under
W96?

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: New things, new things + logo in XEmacs on text display
@ 1995-12-19  1:30 ` Kevin Cheek
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Kevin Cheek @ 1995-12-19  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> wrote:

> I was planning to do some work between Xmas and the new year, but it
> seems the only computer I'll be able to borrow is a machine that runs
> MS Windows '96.  (The horror!  The horror!)  Does Emacs even run under
> W96?

(isn't it still win95?)
                   ^^

You could always "accidentally" reformat the hard drive and offer to
upgrade their system to linux.

Obsgnus: Would it be possible for sgnus (or XEmacs) to notice whether
it is being run on a text-only display and display the appropriate
logo on startup? When I start up sgnus under XEmacs on a text-only
display, it just displays the path to the xpm file instead of a
logo. I like the logo. I miss the logo.

--
 Kevin Cheek <kcheek@umich.edu>

* Re: New things, new things + logo in XEmacs on text display
@ 1995-12-19  2:03   ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1995-12-19  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@ccs.neu.edu>          \ If Happy Fun Ball begins to smoke, get
PGP Public Key: Ask for one today!  \ away immediately. Seek shelter and cover

* Re: New things, new things + logo in XEmacs on text display
@ 1995-12-19  2:48   ` Steven L. Baur
From: Steven L. Baur @ 1995-12-19  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Kevin> Obsgnus: Would it be possible for sgnus (or XEmacs) to
    Kevin> notice whether it is being run on a text-only display and
    Kevin> display the appropriate logo on startup? When I start up
    Kevin> sgnus under XEmacs on a text-only display, it just displays
    Kevin> the path to the xpm file instead of a logo. I like the
    Kevin> logo. I miss the logo.

You can do a cheap hack now to achieve this, assuming you have write
permission in gnus-xmas-glyph-directory.  Set the permissions on
gnus.xpm to 0 while Gnus starts up, and you will get the old text
screen.  I've done this to preserve space in the colormap until the
image gets fixed.

--
steve@miranova.com baur

* Re: New things, new things + logo in XEmacs on text display
@ 1995-12-20  2:54   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-12-20  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Cheek <kcheek@umich.edu> writes:

> Obsgnus: Would it be possible for sgnus (or XEmacs) to notice whether
> it is being run on a text-only display and display the appropriate
> logo on startup?

Oops.  I put a test in there, but it was the wrong test.  Fix in 0.26.

--
Home is where the cat is.