From: Benjamin Rutt <rutt+news@cis.ohio-state.edu>
Subject: "subscribed" has overloaded meaning in gnus?
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 10:49:01 -0500	[thread overview]

I'm using a couple month-old Oort 0.04.  I'm a little confused as to
what 'subscribed' means as a group parameter.  To me, the concept of
'subscribed' in gnus means that you have used the command 'U' or 'u'
in the *Group* buffer on a group to subscribe it.  But it seems from
the following definition that 'subscribed' takes on another meaning:

,----[ from gnus.el ]
| (defun gnus-find-subscribed-addresses ()
|   "Return a regexp matching the addresses of all subscribed mail groups.
| It consists of the `to-address' or `to-list' parameter of all groups
| with a `subscribed' parameter."
`----

If 'subscribed' is a group parameter, then it should be documented in
the info node "(gnus)Group Parameters".  (Is there any other source of
a list of group parameters that I'm missing?)  I think the prior
meaning of 'subscribed' as a *Group* buffer concept is pretty well
entrenched, and this new meaning may confuse others as it has me.
Maybe the group parameter 'subscribed' should have its name changed to
avoid the confusion from the overloaded meanings?  It's also possible
that I'm just being picky, and everyone can understand the two
meanings without any problems.  Opinions?

BTW, I learned about 'subscribed' as a group parameter a few months
ago in this group during a discussion of MFT.  The following sets
`message-subscribed-regexps' to a regexp matching all my mailing lists
(I've named them all with the prefix "mlist-" and I've set 'to-list'
and 'to-address' on each one).  If there's a better way to do this
please let me know:

(setq gnus-parameters '(("^nnml:mlist-.*" (subscribed . t))))
(add-hook 'gnus-started-hook
	  (lambda ()
	    (setq message-subscribed-regexps
		  (gnus-find-subscribed-addresses))))