According to RFC 2646, the text `Take some more tea,' the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly. `I've had nothing yet,' Alice replied in an offended tone, `so I can't take more.' `You mean you can't take LESS,' said the Hatter: `it's very easy to take MORE than nothing.' can be encoded as `Take some more tea,' the March Hare said to Alice, very* earnestly.* # `I've had nothing yet,' Alice replied in an offended tone, `so* I can't take more.'* # `You mean you can't take LESS,' said the Hatter: `it's very* easy to take MORE than nothing.'# (using '*' to indicate a soft line break, that is, SP CRLF sequence, and '#' to indicate a hard line break, that is, CRLF). Putting the encoded text into a buffer and issuing M-: (fill-flowed) gives me: `Take some more tea,' the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly. `I've had nothing yet,' Alice replied in an offended tone, `so I can't take more.' `You mean you can't take LESS,' said the Hatter: `it's very easy to take MORE than nothing.' Using the attached patch, I get: `Take some more tea,' the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly. `I've had nothing yet,' Alice replied in an offended tone, `so I can't take more.' `You mean you can't take LESS,' said the Hatter: `it's very easy to take MORE than nothing.' I haven't thoroughly tested the patch to see if it has any unintended side effects. -Mark