From: Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no>
Subject: ghost new articles in nnml groups
Date: 12 May 1997 17:21:50 +0200	[thread overview]

I've a problem, that many nnml groups show up with new articles, even
when there aren't any

Back around April 18, I got this problem for the first time.  It
surfaced when I had moved two ticked articles from a different nnml
group, using
	G m

Today I had a crash, in that my SPARCbook took a sudden nosedive, and
many of the files currently in emacs were trashed.  Among the files
trashed, were some .overview files, so I have done an
	M-x nnml-generate-nov-databases

After this, I have seen this phenomenon in some 5-10 mail groups.
There are several manifestations:
	1. new articles are reported in *Group*, but none are found when I
	   enter the nnml group
	2. new articles are reported *Group*, and when I enter the group,
	   previously ticked, and read, articles, appear as new unread
	   articles
	3. the new articles reported in *Group* disappear when I do a
	   "g" command

I'm not reporting this as a bug, since I suspect the reason for this
is that I've gotten some cruft into either ~/.newsrc.eld,
~/Mail/active, or some NOV files, somewhere.

If someone has any ideas to where to look for this cruft, it will be
highly appreciated.

Thanx!

- Steinar