* HTML not formatted
@ 2000-03-28 11:52 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2000-03-28 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

This HTML message for some reason wasn't formatted by w3.el, before it
was displayed, but instead displayed as the raw HTML tags.  I have a
setting of
	(setq mm-discouraged-alternatives '("text/html" "text/richtext"))

However, this setting didn't stop a spam message from displaying as
(incredibly ugly) formatted HTML yesterday.

The offending message is attached.  Can anyone tell why this message
wasn't formatted before it was displayed?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1955 bytes --]

From: admin@finn.no
To: steinar@bang.priv.no
Subject: Ditt FINN passord
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 13:26:10 +0200 (MET DST)

* Re: HTML not formatted
@ 2000-03-28 12:08 ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 2000-03-28 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

> This HTML message for some reason wasn't formatted by w3.el, before it
> was displayed, but instead displayed as the raw HTML tags.  I have a
> setting of
> 	(setq mm-discouraged-alternatives '("text/html"
> "text/richtext"))
>
> However, this setting didn't stop a spam message from displaying as
> (incredibly ugly) formatted HTML yesterday.
>
> The offending message is attached.  Can anyone tell why this message
> wasn't formatted before it was displayed?

Because it explicitly says it is text/plain?

From: admin@finn.no
To: steinar@bang.priv.no
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 03:26:10 -0800

-bp

* Re: HTML not formatted
@ 2000-03-28 12:17   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2000-03-28 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Because it explicitly says it is text/plain?

> From: admin@finn.no
> To: steinar@bang.priv.no
> Subject: Ditt FINN passord
> Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 03:26:10 -0800

Truly weird.  When I look at the headers using C-u g, I get this:

From: admin@finn.no
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 13:26:10 +0200 (MET DST)
Errorsto: bounce@finn.no
Replyto: admin@finn.no
To: steinar@bang.priv.no

CT text/html, no charset, and no encoding.

But the "From:" header is in the middle of a series of Received:
headers.  Maybe that is part of the problem?

* Re: HTML not formatted
@ 2000-03-28 12:38 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-03-28 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

> The offending message is attached.  Can anyone tell why this message
> wasn't formatted before it was displayed?

It is missing a Mime-Version header.

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: HTML not formatted
@ 2000-03-28 12:47   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2000-03-28 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:
>> The offending message is attached.  Can anyone tell why this message
>> wasn't formatted before it was displayed?

> It is missing a Mime-Version header.

Ah, yes of course it is.

Thanx!

* Re: HTML not formatted
@ 2000-03-28 13:06     ` Jørgen Wahlberg
From: Jørgen Wahlberg @ 2000-03-28 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

[ Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> ]

|  Truly weird.  When I look at the headers using C-u g, I get this:
|
|  From: admin@finn.no
|  Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 13:26:10 +0200 (MET DST)
|  Subject: Ditt FINN passord
|  Errorsto: bounce@finn.no
|  Replyto: admin@finn.no
|  To: steinar@bang.priv.no
|
|  CT text/html, no charset, and no encoding.
|
|  But the "From:" header is in the middle of a series of Received:
|  headers.  Maybe that is part of the problem?

The problem is that there is no MIME-Version header.  Without this,
Gnus does the right thing which is to show you the message as plain
text.

 - jørgen

--
Jørgen Wahlberg <jw@nimrod.no>