* Sharing GNUS between NT/Linux
@ 1998-11-09 14:41 Jeremy Zawodny
From: Jeremy Zawodny @ 1998-11-09 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntemacs-users

Here's the situation (and I'm hoping that someone has done this before)...

I have a machine with Linux and NT installed. Linux is recent addition. I
was using Emacs/GNUS on NT just fine. I had my home directory variable in
NT set to "M:\" so that my "Mail/", "News/", ".gnus", and other related
files/directories were all there. (M:\ is a backed-up network dirve and my
workstation is *not*, so I put everything there.)

Now I'm running Under Linux part of the time and I'd like to use that same
files that I was under NT. Under Linux, I have mounted my "M:\" drive as
"~/M/" thanks to smbmount. :-)

I *believe* that .gnus, .newsrc.eld, Mail, News, and so on should be (and
can be) shared.  My .emacs file will *not* be shared between NT and Linux,
so what I'm looking for are the necessary settings to put in my Linux
.emacs so that Gnus will know to find everything it needs in "~/M/"
instead of in "~/"

I've checked the Gnus manual and found *many*variables which contain "dir"
in their names. It appears as if I need to force several of to the new
value(s) in my Linux .emacs file. Have I missed something? Is there a
"global" setting I can make so that all Gnus components just figure it
out?

Should this work eventually?

I'll summarize if there's interest.

Thanks for any help,

Jeremy
--
Jeremy D. Zawodny                Web Geek, Perl Hacker, etc.
http://www.wcnet.org/~jzawodn/   jzawodn@wcnet.org

LOAD "LINUX",8,1

* Re: Sharing GNUS between NT/Linux
@ 1998-11-09 15:03 ` Kai.Grossjohann
       [not found]   ` <6fww5499vg.fsf@dna.lth.se>
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1998-11-09 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, ntemacs-users

,-----
| gnus-home-directory's value is
| "~/"
|
| Documentation:
| Directory variable that specifies the "home" directory.
| All other Gnus path variables are initialized from this variable.
`-----

This ought to work.  Take care, however, to set this variable in
~/.emacs and *not* in ~/.gnus.  In fact, I believe even .gnus will be
looked for in ~/M if you change this, due to my interpretation of
`all'...

What about the file types, though?  Maybe you have M$-ish CRLF
end-of-lines where Linux expects LF?

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Silent, automatic conversion of line endings (Was: Sharing...)
       [not found]   ` <6fww5499vg.fsf@dna.lth.se>
@ 1998-11-10  8:57     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1998-11-10  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> What about the file types, though?  Maybe you have M$-ish CRLF
>> end-of-lines where Linux expects LF?

> Doesn't emacs take care of this silently and automatically?

*Too* silently!  I messed up when doing a CVS import over an old
version from UNIX, but with the new version packaged on Win32.

I couldn't understand what was wrong, because the files looked fine in
Emacs, which has always told me that the file was a DOS file by
displaying the ^M characters or by putting a small "dos-mode" on the
status line.

What was more confusing than anything, was that the little bugger
(20.2 MBSK) *showed* the ^M characters in buffers that had both
UNIX and DOS line endings on different lines.

Arrrgh!