* Slight shirt delay
@ 1996-10-25 10:23 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-10-25 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Due to my cold, I haven't gotten around to finalizing the shirt
design, so I won't be toddling off to the shirt printer until Monday.
If you have any comments or idea about the shirt design, please look
at <URL:http://www.ifi.uio.no/~larsi/rgnus/shirt/>.  I'm not sure how
big the Red Gnus legend should be -- I want to keep it fairly small,
but it has to reproduce legibly on the shirts.  I'm no designer.  Have
a peek and criticize away.

Now that the order deadline has been reached, I've done a count.  37
shirts were ordered -- most of them black, with the surprising green
runner-up.  (Then white, yellow and last blue.)  Uhm -- yes, paging
Steinar Bang?  Money ok, but what size and color did you want?

Since I'm not printing them until Monday, I'll be watching my mail box
for stragglers until then, of course.  Has anybody sent money that
hasn't reached me yet?  List of people I've gotten money from can be
found at <URL:http://www.ifi.uio.no/~larsi/rgnus/shirt/red-money>.

I think I'll take 2 for myself, or should I take 3?  Which gives us 40
shirts, which is twice as many as I had imagined, and which means that
I make lots and lots and lots of money.  (Well, not quite, but I
didn't mean to make any money whatsoever off of this; I just wanted a
shirt or two.  :-)  Feels all wrong.)

Anyways -- at 50 shirts, the price per shirt falls off 20 NOK, which
means that 45 shirts costs as much as 50 shirts.  So, uhm, should I
print 50 shirts instead?  Printing the final 10 shirts will add NOK400
to the total price, which is a piffling NOK40 (USD6) per shirt.  And I
could just keep them all myself.  :-)  Or flog them off on the black
market.  Well, if I do print the last 10 shirts, I can't charge less
than what y'all have paid for your copies; that would be unfair.  So
I'm all bewildered as to what to do.  I'll never become a proper
money-grubbing capitalist by vacillitating like this...  Drats!

Perhaps I should just print 40 shirts anyway.  Makes life much
simpler.

* Re: Slight shirt delay
@ 1996-10-25 11:41 ` Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1996-10-25 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

/ Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> wrote:

| Since I'm not printing them until Monday, I'll be watching my mail box
| for stragglers until then, of course.  Has anybody sent money that
| hasn't reached me yet?  List of people I've gotten money from can be
| found at <URL:http://www.ifi.uio.no/~larsi/rgnus/shirt/red-money>.

ARRGH My name isn't on that list :-( I sent the money this tuesday!

| market.  Well, if I do print the last 10 shirts, I can't charge less
| than what y'all have paid for your copies; that would be unfair.  So
| I'm all bewildered as to what to do.  I'll never become a proper
| money-grubbing capitalist by vacillitating like this...  Drats!

Hmm print 50 and do an auction on gnu.emacs.gnus (black market, what
is a communistic thought (or whatever) without a black market??) for
the ten and sell them to the highest bidders, and let the money go to
the fond for preserving gnus quality, that invests in such stuff as CC
and cd's for the poor hard working developers in Oslo ;-)

Or use them all by yourself to keep warm in the coold nordic winter
:-)

	/Andy

--
 Hi I am an alien .sig, and at the moment I am having sex to your
 mind, by looking at your smile I can see that you like it.

 Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
 See <http://www.fukt.hk-r.se/~flognat/mail/> for more info.

* Re: Slight shirt delay
@ 1996-10-25 14:50 ` Joev Dubach
From: Joev Dubach @ 1996-10-25 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> I think I'll take 2 for myself, or should I take 3?  Which gives us 40
> shirts, which is twice as many as I had imagined, and which means that
> I make lots and lots and lots of money.  (Well, not quite, but I
> didn't mean to make any money whatsoever off of this; I just wanted a
> shirt or two.  :-)  Feels all wrong.)

Well, if it feels too all wrong, you could always put the cash
difference between "okay" and "all wrong" in the shirt packages.  :)
I think I have a better idea below, though.

> Anyways -- at 50 shirts, the price per shirt falls off 20 NOK, which
> means that 45 shirts costs as much as 50 shirts.  So, uhm, should I
> print 50 shirts instead?  Printing the final 10 shirts will add NOK400
> to the total price, which is a piffling NOK40 (USD6) per shirt.  And I
> could just keep them all myself.  :-)  Or flog them off on the black
> market.  Well, if I do print the last 10 shirts, I can't charge less
> than what y'all have paid for your copies; that would be unfair.  So
> I'm all bewildered as to what to do.  I'll never become a proper
> money-grubbing capitalist by vacillitating like this...  Drats!

Here's what you do: Print fifty shirts, and offer the unappropriated
ones on gnu.emacs.gnus as a special limited offer for those not on
ding-list but who want a piece of history anyway.  Same price, all
black (since that's apparently the most popular color) and mainly (or
maybe even all) XL, depending on the size distribution experienced so
far.

Then, put all the money from this second offering aside, and use it to
subsidize the next ding-list Gnus merchandise offer.

> Perhaps I should just print 40 shirts anyway.  Makes life much
> simpler.

The last ten are so cheap, how can you not print them?  What a
bargain!  :)

I suppose all this hypothesizing might be obviated by late orders
anyway.

Joev                          <URL:"http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~dubach1/">

  "There may be trouble ahead, but while there's moonlight, and music,
   and love, and romance, let's face the music and dance."
          -- Irving Berlin

* Re: Slight shirt delay
@ 1996-10-26  8:46 ` Ralph Schleicher
From: Ralph Schleicher @ 1996-10-26  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> cited below with "Larsi"
writes:

Larsi> Due to my cold, I haven't gotten around to finalizing the shirt
Larsi> design, so I won't be toddling off to the shirt printer until Monday.
Larsi> If you have any comments or idea about the shirt design, please look
Larsi> at <URL:http://www.ifi.uio.no/~larsi/rgnus/shirt/>.  I'm not sure how
Larsi> big the Red Gnus legend should be -- I want to keep it fairly small,
Larsi> but it has to reproduce legibly on the shirts.  I'm no designer.  Have
Larsi> a peek and criticize away.

Here are my comments:

* Shift the legend some microns toward the hoof of the left front leg so
  that the gaps between the legend and the image are constant.

* The font size of the upper and lower text of the legend should be
  equal.  I suggest

	     Development Proletarian No. 23
			Red Gnus
	     People's Democratic Newsreader

  as the final legend.  `Proletarian' sounds better than `Worker' and it
  gives some indication about the non-profit status of Gnus.  `Proletcult'
  is also a nice word but I couldn't compose something usefull with it.

* The color red should be darker.  Does anybody know the RAL code of the
  original red?

Larsi> 37 shirts were ordered -- most of them black, with the surprising
Larsi> green runner-up.  (Then white, yellow and last blue.)

Blue last?  That's odd.  Blue is the traditional color of working clothes.

--
Ralph * http://www.UL.BaWue.DE/~rs/

GNU -- vivat, crescat, floreat!

* Re: Slight shirt delay
@ 1996-10-26 14:27   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-10-26 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

dubach1@husc.harvard.edu (Joev Dubach) writes:

> Here's what you do: Print fifty shirts, and offer the unappropriated
> ones on gnu.emacs.gnus as a special limited offer for those not on
> ding-list but who want a piece of history anyway.  Same price, all
> black (since that's apparently the most popular color) and mainly (or
> maybe even all) XL, depending on the size distribution experienced so
> far.

I'm now up to 42 sold, so I think I'll print 50.  The last 7 can
either be sold to people on this list, or I can give them away as Xmas
presents.

> Then, put all the money from this second offering aside, and use it to
> subsidize the next ding-list Gnus merchandise offer.

I thought of that as well, but there's only one slight problem with
that:  If I have money, then I don't have money.  Poof.  Money doesn't
like me -- it seems to run through my hands.  So if I ever do another
Gnus Merchandise Thing, they'll be long gone before that time.

* Re: Slight shirt delay
@ 1996-10-26 14:30   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-10-26 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ralph Schleicher <rs@purple.UL.BaWue.DE> writes:

> * Shift the legend some microns toward the hoof of the left front leg so
>   that the gaps between the legend and the image are constant.

Yup.

> * The font size of the upper and lower text of the legend should be
>   equal.  I suggest
>
> 	     Development Proletarian No. 23
> 			Red Gnus
> 	     People's Democratic Newsreader
>
>   as the final legend.

Hey, I kinda like that one.  Whadda y'all say?

> `Proletarian' sounds better than `Worker' and it
>   gives some indication about the non-profit status of Gnus.  `Proletcult'
>   is also a nice word but I couldn't compose something usefull with it.

What does it mean?

> * The color red should be darker.

I'll have to discuss what red to use with the t-shirt people -- it has
to show up legibly on white, bright yellow, and dark blue, dark green
and dark black.  So it'll probably be a pretty strong red.  Perhaps
like what's on the CCCP's flag?

* Re: Slight shirt delay
@ 1996-10-26 17:03     ` Ralph Schleicher
From: Ralph Schleicher @ 1996-10-26 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

writes:

>> `Proletcult' is also a nice word but I couldn't compose something
>> usefull with it.

Larsi> What does it mean?

``Revolutionary movement in Russia during the October Revolution with
the target to develop a proletarian culture.''

Oh, oh, I think I got it!

	  Proletcult Activist No. 23

These two words stand for manual working, anti-bourgeoisie, revolution,
and culture.  The `No. 23' is the extra touch of Communism ideal of
human beeings.  What do the others think about it?

--
Ralph * http://www.UL.BaWue.DE/~rs/

GNU -- vivat, crescat, floreat!

* Re: Slight shirt delay
@ 1996-10-26 17:32     ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1996-10-26 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

>>	Development Proletarian No. 23
>>		Red Gnus
>>	People's Democratic Newsreader

Lars> Hey, I kinda like that one.  Whadda y'all say?

I like it too. Go for it.

>> `Proletarian' sounds better than `Worker' and it gives some
>> indication about the non-profit status of Gnus.  `Proletcult' is
>> also a nice word but I couldn't compose something usefull with it.

Lars> What does it mean?

Basically, 'worker'.  :-)

The proletariat is the class of people who sell their labor (as
opposed to selling someone else's work or owning one's own business)

Or something like that.

-Justin

* Re: Slight shirt delay
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-10-26 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ralph Schleicher <rs@purple.UL.BaWue.DE> writes:

> >> `Proletcult' is also a nice word but I couldn't compose something
> >> usefull with it.
>
> Larsi> What does it mean?
>
> ``Revolutionary movement in Russia during the October Revolution with
> the target to develop a proletarian culture.''

Hey!  Nice!

> Oh, oh, I think I got it!
>
> 	  Proletcult Activist No. 23
>
> These two words stand for manual working, anti-bourgeoisie, revolution,
> and culture.  The `No. 23' is the extra touch of Communism ideal of
> human beeings.  What do the others think about it?

I like it a lot.  But wouldn't `#23' be better than `No. 23'?

Protecult Activist #23
        Red Gnus
People's Democratic Newsreader

Uhm -- it's too short.

Protecult Activist Number 23

That might be long enough.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Slight shirt delay
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-10-26 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@hrym.ifi.uio.no> writes:

> Protecult Activist Number 23

Uhm -- I meant proletcult.

Development Proletcult Cadre #23
People's Democratic Newsreader

Quite a mouthful.  :-)  "Cadre" usually means a group of people, but
it can also mean a member of a cadre.  (Is that a recursive definition
or what?  It's in this dictionary:

cadre ... 4) Member of a cadre.

Yup.)

It might be two characters too long, though.  And doesn't "proletcult"
kinda imply "cadre"?  Hm.  We could dump the "#23".

@ 1996-10-27  7:10         ` Ralph Schleicher
From: Ralph Schleicher @ 1996-10-27  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> cited below with "Larsi"
writes:

Larsi> Protecult Activist Number 23

Larsi> That might be long enough.

I vote for that if `Proletcult' will be spelled correctly on the shirt.

--
Ralph * http://www.UL.BaWue.DE/~rs/

GNU -- vivat, crescat, floreat!

* Re: Slight shirt delay
@ 1996-10-27 11:59           ` Michael Grubb
From: Michael Grubb @ 1996-10-27 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> Development Proletcult Cadre #23
> People's Democratic Newsreader

What was wrong with "Ministry of Development and Reeducation"?  Too
long?  How about "Ministry of Development", then?  If you want the
cadre and "23" references, it could be "Development Cadre 23".  But
the proletarian/proletcult business is redundant with the allusions
of "People's Democratic" and doesn't add anything.

     -- M.

--
Michael Grubb <mg@duke.edu> "Mr. High & Mighty Usenet Snob 1992"

* Re: Slight shirt delay
@ 1996-10-27 14:44     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1996-10-27 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> * The font size of the upper and lower text of the legend should be
>> equal.  I suggest
>>
>> Development Proletarian No. 23
>> Red Gnus
>> People's Democratic Newsreader
>>
>> as the final legend.

> Hey, I kinda like that one.  Whadda y'all say?

Nope.  I'd say stay with the Soviet look.