* 5.8.3 (CVS version) NNTP primary server stops updating unread number
@ 2000-03-16  8:27 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2000-03-16  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

My problem, is that a normal
in the *Group* buffer no longer updates the unread number on the NNTP
groups on the primary server (I only have this one NNTP server).
After the get command I see the text "nntp read: 15k" for a while in
the minibuffer, until it moves on to the secondary servers (nnml and
an nnimap server).

I can update the NNTP groups individually with
	M-g
but that is impractical in the long run.

Here's what I did:

Yesterday I decided to try nnslashdot.  When I did my first
	A z
it listed a hug amount of zombie groups.
	S z
killed them, but also killed the nnslashdot groups.

Due to a bit of clumsyness on my part, a big number of the zombie
groups were subscribed, so I had to unsubscribe them, after I took an
to show the normal list of groups.

Since I wanted to try out slashdot, without waiting for new groups to
appear, I stopped Gnus, and removed the nnslashdot groups from
gnus-killed-list, in ~/.newsrc.eld, and then restarted Gnus.

This seemed to work, except I occasionally get the hanging in 'Mark
set' that others have reported, so I have now removed it.

My guess is that somewhere in there, I messed up a setting in
~/.newsrc.eld.  But I have no clue about where to look.

Any hints and ideas welcome!

- Steinar