From: Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no>
Subject: Re: Backing up expired mail?
Date: 24 Apr 1997 19:00:10 +0200	[thread overview]

>> Well, the idea is that I'd like to keep the folders that I actually
>> read as small as possible to keep things as fast as possible, but
>> I'm too paranoid to actually delete mail that I receive.  So I move
>> it out of my mail folders as soon as it's "deleted" and a few days
>> old, then periodically I move it offline completely.

I've wanted similar functionality, for just about the same reason.
The problem with refiling to a host of other groups, is that stuff
gets lost and forgotten.

I don't think I'd want more than two levels (maybe the mail group
itself, and another group with the same name, suffixed by ".old").
I'd also like all articles in the old folder to be compressed.

>> For nnmh, I was able to build the functionality that I wanted with
>> a perl script, but I want to switch to nnfolder and with all the
>> mail in one big file, I'm afraid I'll munge things completely if I
>> try to hack the folder file.

> I'd suggest doing this from inside Gnus.  Write a macro to enter the
> group, process-mark all the articles and `B m' them to somewhere
> else.

Hm... is this a keyboard macro, or a lisp macro? (I've never quite
understood lisp macros...).

I guess I would try to write some emacs lisp code to do this, and then
try to run that as a daemon (the way I run expiry now).

What would be the best/simplest way to gzip the articles, after I've
moved them?

- Steinar