* unable to open NNTP server
@ 1999-03-24 14:42 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1999-03-24 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pterodactyl Gnus v0.65 on XEmacs 20.4 "Emerald"

I am suddenly unable to open my main NNTP server.  Gnus says that it
is unable to open news.eunet.no (server denied access).

At the same time, I can telnet into the NNTP server like this:

$ telnet news.eunet.no 119
Trying 195.0.200.200...
Connected to elle.eunet.no.
Escape character is '^]'.
200 Norway.EU.net InterNetNews NNRP server INN 1.7.2 08-Dec-1997 ready (posting ok).
quit
205 .
Connection closed by foreign host.

All and any ideas appreciated!

Thanx!

- Steinar

* Re: unable to open NNTP server
@ 1999-03-24 14:49 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1999-03-24 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Pterodactyl Gnus v0.65 on XEmacs 20.4 "Emerald"
> I am suddenly unable to open my main NNTP server.  Gnus says that it
> is unable to open news.eunet.no (server denied access).

> At the same time, I can telnet into the NNTP server like this:

Hm... I tried stopping and starting Gnus without it helping any.  But
exiting xemacs and starting a new one, helped.

What happened earlier today was that the only DNS server I had set up
in resolv.conf took a nose dive and when I set up an alternative
nameserver the change appearently didn't take hold in the already
running xemacs.