From: Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no>
Subject: VM pop, XEmacs, and Gnus (Was: POP3 - ...)
Date: 09 May 1997 19:40:19 +0200	[thread overview]

> Since I have plenty of memory on all my machines, I just load VM and
> use its pop retrieval stuff, like so:

> (setq vm-pop-max-message-size 21000
>       nnmail-movemail-program 'my-movemail)

> (defun my-movemail (inbox crashbox)
>   (require 'vm)
>   (vm-pop-move-mail "aventail.com:110:pass:wmperry:*" crashbox)
>   (vm-pop-move-mail "oz.net:110:pass:wmperry:*" crashbox))

Hm... is this all that's required?  I tried compiling this on both GNU
emacs, and XEmacs, and both places, I've gotten the message:
  ** the function vm-pop-move-mail is not known to be defined.
both places, when byte compiling the .gnus.el file.

The VM directory, is in load-path.  I've also tried using
   (require 'vm-pop)
with the same response when byte compiling.

The reason I'm doing this, is that I haven't been able to run movemail
with POP, on XEmacs, and since I run demonical mail fetch, I can't use
pop3.el, because it asks for the password each time it fetches the
mail (or can I...? How does this apop stuff work?  Does it negotiate a
session key? I think not, if I remember correctly, from the POP3 RFC.
Will I have to maintain a list of clear text "secrets" on the POP3
server, to use APOP?

(But for the time being, I'm back to Gnus in GNU Emacs 19.34, which
works fine, with movemail/POP, and demonical mail fetch.  I just want
better support for richer mail content (inline images, and the like))

- Steinar