From: Chris Brierley <brierley@pobox.com>
Subject: Re: nnimap: Checking mailbox %s vs. Updating info for %s
Date: 01 Mar 2000 12:26:40 -0500	[thread overview]

So, I finally got some time to find the least configuration that
will cause this problem (bug?) to appear.  To re-cap, when I move
a mail message from one IMAP server to another, from then on the
IMAP server I moved the mail to shows "Updating info for %s" when
I get mail rather than the much faster "Checking mailbox %s"
(which my other IMAP servers still show).  Here's how to reproduce
it (obviously you need access to two IMAP servers):

* Remove your .newsrc.eld, .gnus.el, and .emacs files.

* Make this your .emacs, changing as appropriate for your servers:

,-----
| ;; This is where I keep Gnus 5.8.3.
| (add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "~/lib/lisp/gnus/lisp"))
| ;; Set up primary select method even though we won't use it in our example.
| ;; Change this for your news server
| (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.domain.com"))
| ;; I apparently need this for my news server since it requires
| ;; authentication.  You may be able to take it out.
| (add-hook 'nntp-server-opened-hook 'nntp-send-authinfo)
| (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
|       '(
|         (nnimap "personal"
|                 ;; Change this for an IMAP server
|                 (nnimap-address "personal.com")
|                 (nnimap-list-pattern ("INBOX" "mail/*"))
|                 )
|         (nnimap "work"
|                 ;; Change this for another IMAP server
|                 (nnimap-address "work.com")
|                 (nnimap-list-pattern ("INBOX" "mail/*"))
|                 )
|         ))
`-----

Follow these steps:
-------------------
* Fire up gnus.

* Go to the *Server* buffer, take note of what servers are listed.

* List the folders in each of the two IMAP servers and subscribe a
  bunch (you need a number subscribed so that you have enough time
  to see the status messages, I subscribe to all of mine).

  gnus-summary-move-article a message (B m) to a folder on the
  other server.  * Note here that gnus-dup gets loaded!  Perhaps
  that's where the problem lies?

* Go to the *Server* buffer again and see that there is an extra
  entry for the server to which you moved the mail message.

  Here is the problem: all the updates for one server show
  "Checking mailbox %s", all the updates for the other server (the
  one to which you moved the mail) show "Updating info for %s".