* mail source is noisy
@ 1999-02-09 17:39 Jack Vinson
       [not found] ` <m3r9rzxxtf.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
From: Jack Vinson @ 1999-02-09 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mail source tends to make lots of noise when retrieving mail from my
server.  Why does it need to tell me retrieving / saving to crashbox for
every message?  Why not something a little less noisy like
	Retrieving message  8 of 15
	Retrieving message  9 of 15
	Retrieving message 10 of 15
	Retrieving message 11 of 15

Does one of the gnus-verbose variables control this, or has that not yet
been implemented?

--
Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu>    http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~vinson/
Zippy: BELA LUGOSI is my co-pilot..

* Re: mail source is noisy
       [not found]   ` <199902262006.PAA02318@icule.progiciels-bpi.ca>
@ 1999-02-26 21:14     ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-02-26 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Happy Fun Ball may stick to certain types
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ of skin.

* Re: mail source is noisy
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-02-26 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> I mean, when I wrote pop3-movemail I never intended for anyone (besides me)
> to actually use it.  I resist 'improvement' in the hopes that someone will
> write a better function.

It works well (better than movemail with all its compilation problems
(well, not problems, but lack of --with-pop configuration)), so I
think it should be preferred over the other available solutions.

I've now changed the append-to-file thing that messages to
write-region with APPEND and no messaging.

* Re: mail source is noisy
@ 1999-02-27  1:08       ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 1999-02-27  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: (ding)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> écrit:

> I mean, when I wrote pop3-movemail I never intended for anyone (besides
> me) to actually use it.  [...] I cannot afford to waste the disk space
> for multiple Emacs installs for something so... well, insignificant.

It is useful for me, and probably to many others as well.  My perception
is that this tool is undoubtedly significant for many of us.  Thanks for it.

--
François Pinard                            mailto:pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
Join the free Translation Project!    http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard