* can't read nnslashdot
@ 2000-03-24 18:43 Ted Stern
From: Ted Stern @ 2000-03-24 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

There must be something in my settings, I just don't know what to look for.

I have tried browsing slashdot and also using gnus-secondary-select-methods,
but gnus sits there for ages until I hit ^G to quit.  Here is a snippet from
the *Messages* buffer:

   Connecting to slashdot.org...
   Opening nnslashdot server on slashdot.org...

   Reading active file...
   Contacting host: slashdot.org:80
   Wrote /home/users/stern/.url/history
   Quit
   error in process sentinel: Trying to parse headers in odd buffer:  *http slashdot.org:80*<6> [2 times]

I am using Emacs-20.3, and the latest cvs versions of gnus, url and w3.

Any ideas?  Suggestions?  TIA,

--
 Ted Stern                 Porting/Tuning/Analysis, Applications & Libraries
 Tera Computer Company                                   http://www.tera.com

* Re: can't read nnslashdot
@ 2000-03-25  0:31 ` Michael Harnois
From: Michael Harnois @ 2000-03-25  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've never, ever, ever gotten nnslashdot to work. For me it fetches
the headers ok; but when I actually try to read something I get the
"Slashdot HTML has changed" etc. message.

--
Michael D. Harnois, Redeemer Lutheran Church, Washburn, IA
mdharnois@home.com                      aa0bt@aa0bt.ampr.org

* Re: can't read nnslashdot
@ 2000-03-25  3:09 ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 2000-03-25  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

TS> There must be something in my settings...

You are not the only one, Ted.  Several people have been having problems
with SlashDot.  Some have expressed annoyance that they are able to read
for a while, and then at some point (days, weeks) it just doesn't work any
more.

I am currently getting an error in a search where the code gets nil where
it expects something else.  I haven't had time (or much strong inclination)
to track down what is happening.  This is partially due to a problem I
mentioned earlier in that this ends up killing gnus-group-get-new-news, and
Gnus doesn't like that much.

--
JackVinson@Yahoo.com
Bart: Garlic gum is not funny.