* Losing mail: nnml + pgnus 0.95 + emacs 20.4
@ 1999-08-11 22:21 Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1999-08-11 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

I noticed this a week or two ago and now I have seen it again.  I get new
mail (gnus-group-get-new-news) and see that something has arrived from the
messages that pop up.  I even look at the *Messages* buffer to see where
the messages are dropped.  However, the mail will occasionally not appear
in the new messages count.  And when I enter the group, the messages do not
appear; even with 'C-u [Ret]'  If I 'j'ump to the message, unmark it and
leave the summary, the message count does not change.

This happens with two of my mailing list groups which are being received
from the second entry in my mail-sources.  Is it possible that when mail
only comes from the second source that Gnus does not properly update the
active file?  The active file represents the total message number range,
right?  If so, the active file is somehow not being updated correctly.

For the mail to ever show up as unread, I need to run
nnml-generate-nov-databases and then gnus-group-get-new-news to convince
Gnus to display the correct information.

I know this comes up every once in a while.  It just hasn't bitten me,
yet.  Reading through the incredibly long thread on "More POP madness"
(<x3gvhf6gbdd.fsf@pollux.imsa.edu>), I see that there may be a problem with
Zombie/Killed groups that have the same name.

As it turns out, I have Killed groups with names that correspond to each of
my nnml:* groups.  The names simply don't have the backend on them.  Could
this be the source of my problems?  How could get get these groups?  Is it
because my gnus-select-method is nnml?  Should it be 'nil instead, with a
secondary method of nnml?

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnml)
      mail-sources '((pop :server "chevax.ecs.umass.edu"
			  :user "jvinson"
			  )
		     (pop :server "unagi.cis.upenn.edu"
			  :user "vinson"
			  )
		     )
)

--
Jack Vinson
Zippy: Where's th' DAFFY DUCK EXHIBIT??

* Re: Losing mail: nnml + pgnus 0.95 + emacs 20.4
@ 1999-08-11 22:32 ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1999-08-11 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

JV> As it turns out, I have Killed groups with names that correspond to each of
JV> my nnml:* groups.  The names simply don't have the backend on them.  Could
JV> this be the source of my problems?  How could get get these groups?  Is it
JV> because my gnus-select-method is nnml?  Should it be 'nil instead, with a
JV> secondary method of nnml?

It looks like this is the problem.  I don't know if I didn't search the
thread hard enough, but if I set my primary select method back to nntp (or
something not nnml), then things seem to work again.  I will have to report
on this in a few days.

I had turned off nntp because the corporate newsserver has died with no
sign of it ever coming back to life.

This may be related to the comment that Kai (I think) had about attempting
to create two nnml servers.  Or was that the person who wanted to use nnml
for their drafts or archives?

--
Jack Vinson
Zippy: My life is a patio of fun!