* Re: Help - specialities entering a group
@ 1998-12-22 11:10 ` François Pinard
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: François Pinard @ 1998-12-22 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

François Pinard <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca> écrit:

> I usually read my mailgroups threaded.  I would like that, when entering the
> `i18n.incoming' mailgroup, and only that one, threading be automatically
> suspended, and the equivalent of `C-u C-c C-s C-d' done, so messages be
> sorted most recent first.

Thanks to those who took the time to help.  Here is my current solution,
which is acceptable to me, and installed in my `.gnus' file:

;; Sorting of articles in the summary.
(setq gnus-article-sort-functions
      '((lambda (t1 t2) (not (gnus-article-sort-by-number t1 t2))))
      gnus-thread-sort-functions
      '((lambda (t1 t2) (not (gnus-thread-sort-by-number t1 t2)))))
(defun fp-gnus-select-group-routine ()
  (let ((name gnus-newsgroup-name))
    (setq gnus-show-threads (and (not (string= name "i18n.all"))
				 (not (string= name "i18n.incoming"))))))
(add-hook 'gnus-select-group-hook 'fp-gnus-select-group-routine)

It is based on the fact that I discovered that I like seeing last messages
first, so I activated it everywhere.  Threading works nicely using
this, as the sort is reverse among threads, but forward within threads.
I preferred to not use `G p', even if it is nicer, because my `.gnus'
gets remotely synchronised between systems (including splitting rules),
while `.newsrc.eld' just may not be.

--
François Pinard                            mailto:pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
Join the free Translation Project!    http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard

* Help - specialities entering a group
@ 1998-12-22 13:53 François Pinard
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: François Pinard @ 1998-12-22 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, people.  Allow me to be a bit lazy, and ask you for an advice or example,
instead of starting a little saga on my own :-).

I usually read my mailgroups threaded.  I would like that, when entering the
`i18n.incoming' mailgroup, and only that one, threading be automatically
suspended, and the equivalent of `C-u C-c C-s C-d' done, so messages be
sorted most recent first.

A solution by which the summary would be entered threaded, *then* unthreated,
is not very ideal, because of the time spent for nothing.  If it was possible
to not have it sorted the usual way before being resorted, it would be
better for the same reason.  Also, if easily doable, I would like a quick
entry (like M-RET) by which Summary highlighting and scoring is inhibited.

Would someone, having done some per-group special processing, could give
me his/her recipe, which I could then adapt to the above needs?

--

@ 1998-12-22 17:18 ` Jason L Tibbitts III
From: Jason L Tibbitts III @ 1998-12-22 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

FP> I usually read my mailgroups threaded.  I would like that, when
FP> entering the `i18n.incoming' mailgroup, and only that one, threading be
FP> automatically suspended, and the equivalent of `C-u C-c C-s C-d' done,
FP> so messages be sorted most recent first.

I have the following in the group parameters (G p from *Group* buffer) for
my inbox:

(total-expire
 (expiry-wait . 365)
 (gnus-thread-sort-functions
  '((lambda
      (t1 t2)
      (gnus-thread-sort-by-date t2 t1)))))

The group-local setting of gnus-thread-sort-functions gives me reverse
sorting by date, threaded, so subjects are still grouped together, but the
threads with the most recent messages are first.  This is done _only_ for
my inbox.

 - J<

* Re: Help - specialities entering a group
@ 1998-12-22 17:40 ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1998-12-22 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Having never profiled it, I'm not sure it meets your requirement that
threading not happen and then unhappen, but I used to have a test in
gnus-select-group-hook that set gnus-show-threads based on the
newsgroup (or, in my case, mailgroup) name.  Somewhere along the line
I decided I liked threading everywhere so I no longer have that in
there.
--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730

* Re: Help - specialities entering a group
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1998-12-22 20:29 ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1998-12-22 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

FP> I usually read my mailgroups threaded.  I would like that, when
FP> entering the `i18n.incoming' mailgroup, and only that one, threading be
FP> automatically suspended, and the equivalent of `C-u C-c C-s C-d' done,
FP> so messages be sorted most recent first.

You can do this in your gnus-select-group-hook as Dave Goldberg indicated.
Or in the group parameters as Jason Tibbitts indicated.  I don't like the
latter because I have to remember to do this for each group where the
gnus-select-group-hook and gnus-group-generate-hook can let me do things
based on regexps and the like.

I use something like this (below) as my gnus-group-generate-hook.  This
hook is specifically used just before generating the *Summary* buffer and
is perfect for setting gnus-thread variables.

(defun jmv-gnus-prepare-groups ()
  ;; My mail groups
  (cond
   ;; My personal archives and
   ;; The Gnus outgoing mail/news archives
   ((string-match "^nnfolder\\+archive" gnus-newsgroup-name)
    (setq gnus-thread-hide-subtree t)
    (setq gnus-thread-sort-functions '(gnus-thread-sort-by-number
				       gnus-thread-sort-by-date)))
   ;; Tandem or ntemacs mailing lists
   ;; Ding mailing list.  Treat as a newsgroup with scores.
   ((string-match "tandem\\|ntemacs\\|ding" gnus-newsgroup-name)
    (setq gnus-thread-hide-subtree t)
    (setq gnus-thread-sort-functions '(gnus-thread-sort-by-number
				       gnus-thread-sort-by-subject
				       gnus-thread-sort-by-total-score)))
   ;; Any other nnml mail groups
   ((string-match "nnml" gnus-newsgroup-name)
    (setq gnus-thread-hide-subtree t)
    (setq gnus-thread-sort-functions '(gnus-thread-sort-by-number
				       gnus-thread-sort-by-date
				       gnus-thread-sort-by-total-score)))
   ;; Gnus draft group
   ((string-match "nndraft" gnus-newsgroup-name)
    (setq gnus-thread-hide-subtree t)
    (setq gnus-thread-sort-functions '(gnus-thread-sort-by-date)))
   ;; All the rest (nntp)
   (t
    (setq gnus-thread-hide-subtree t)
    (setq gnus-thread-sort-functions '(gnus-thread-sort-by-number
				       gnus-thread-sort-by-subject
				       gnus-thread-sort-by-total-score)))
   )
  )

--
Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu>    http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~vinson/
Zippy: ..  are the STEWED PRUNES still in the HAIR DRYER?