From: Nathan Williams <nwilliams@primeon.com>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: extra .ATT attachments?
Date: 16 Sep 1999 11:08:56 -0400	[thread overview]

Jaap-Henk Hoepman <hoepman@cs.utwente.nl> writes:

> When I send mail with attachments to people using MS Outlook, they see an extra
> attachment <blurp>.ATT included in the file. They cannot open this file, and
> this causes quite some confusion. Apparently its my signature that is contained
> in this attachment (as it does not show up in elsewhere in their message pane).
>
> What is the problem and how can it be solved?

The problem is that the MML-processing stage ends the first text/plain
section at the directive for the attachment. Since the signature has
already been inserted, this is typically where you've finished typing,
at the bottom of your message but above the signature. So the document
structure (send such a message to yourself and C-d it) is something
like:

foo/bar    (the attachment)

I tend to work around this problem by manually moving point after my
signature before inserting attachments, or in the case of forwarding
messages, to manually move my signature into the main body, rather
than after the included message. It hasn't annoyed me enough yet to
try to fix it for real, but I would propose that all text outside of
explicit MML tags be concatenated into the initial text/plain section.

        - Nathan