From: Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu>
Subject: Re: Warning
Date: 05 Feb 1999 07:46:58 -0600	[thread overview]

[snip *Warning* message]
SL> Select coding system (default iso-8859-1):

SL> To which I just hit enter.  What is this, have I screwed something up?

This has been asked many times.  The question comes up because emacs 20
knows how to deal with all sorts of character coding systems and that
character exists somewhere (maybe in a subject field).

I have yet to see a decent explanation of /why/ we can't just make it stop
asking about these things.  For what it's worth, this is not only a Gnus
problem.  When I first started with emacs 20 (a few months ago), I got this
warning several times with files that I thought were pretty boring text.  I
worried that emacs was going to start doing this all the time, but it now
happens infrequently.

--
Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu>    http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~vinson/
Zippy: PARDON me, am I speaking ENGLISH?