* Fresh Emacs and pgnus on Win95 box
@ 1999-06-16 14:36 Shaun Lipscombe
From: Shaun Lipscombe @ 1999-06-16 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK.  I have succumbed to the temptation of pgnus.  I have read this
list for months, but only now have I decided to dip my toes into the
water.

I have installed Emacs-20.3.10, and pgnus-0.88.  I installed them to
d:\emacs.  I have Emacs-20.3.8.1, and Gnus-5.6.45 on c:\.

Questions:

1.  I had a d:\emacs\lisp\gnus, when I installed emacs.  I deleted
    this and put pgnus, under d:\emacs\site-lisp\pgnus.  This didn't
    work as it wasn't in the load path.  I therefore moved it to
    d:\emacs\lisp\gnus, where it worked.  How to I get the site-lisp
    directory to add its directories to the load-path?

2.  How do I proceed?  I mean all my old mail, is on c:\emacs\Mail.
    Shall I just copy my .emacs and .gnus here copy my Mail from
    within Gnus or will this cause problems?

3.  How do I find out what variables have changes etc?  for instance I
    now get prompted for a POP password with nnmail.  I am sure there
    are some things in my .gnus and .emacs that are obsolete, because
    I have had problems in the past, migrating to pgnus.

Thank you

Shaun

--
          (o_
(o_  (o_  //\

* Re: Fresh Emacs and pgnus on Win95 box
@ 1999-06-16 19:38 ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-06-16 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Shaun Lipscombe <shaun.lipscombe@gasops.co.uk> writes:

  > 1.  I had a d:\emacs\lisp\gnus, when I installed emacs.  I deleted
  >     this and put pgnus, under d:\emacs\site-lisp\pgnus.  This didn't
  >     work as it wasn't in the load path.  I therefore moved it to
  >     d:\emacs\lisp\gnus, where it worked.  How to I get the site-lisp
  >     directory to add its directories to the load-path?

Why did you delete the Gnus that came with Emacs?  Doing this means
you won't be able to go back.

Use something along the following lines to add the pgnus directory to
the load-path:
(add-to-list 'load-path "c:/emacs/site-lisp/pgnus/lisp/")
Change the directory name as appropriate.

kai
--
Abort this operation?   [OK]  [Cancel]

* Re: Fresh Emacs and pgnus on Win95 box
@ 1999-06-17  8:57   ` Shaun Lipscombe
From: Shaun Lipscombe @ 1999-06-17  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

* "Kai" == Kai Grossjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> writes:

 Kai> Shaun Lipscombe <shaun.lipscombe@gasops.co.uk> writes:
 >> 1.  I had a d:\emacs\lisp\gnus, when I installed emacs.  I deleted
 >> this and put pgnus, under d:\emacs\site-lisp\pgnus.  This didn't
 >> work as it wasn't in the load path.  I therefore moved it to
 >> d:\emacs\lisp\gnus, where it worked.  How to I get the site-lisp
 >> directory to add its directories to the load-path?

 Kai> Why did you delete the Gnus that came with Emacs?  Doing this
 Kai> means you won't be able to go back.

This is the Gnus 5.7 that comes with 20.3.10.  I use Gnus 5.6.45 that
comes with 20.1.8.1, and that is on a different drive.  I can afford
to `play' with this fresh install on D:\.

 Kai> Use something along the following lines to add the pgnus
 Kai> directory to the load-path: (add-to-list 'load-path
 Kai> "c:/emacs/site-lisp/pgnus/lisp/") Change the directory name as
 Kai> appropriate.

Thanks.

@ 1999-06-18 18:53 ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1999-06-18 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

SL> 1.  I had a d:\emacs\lisp\gnus, when I installed emacs.  I deleted
SL>     this and put pgnus, under d:\emacs\site-lisp\pgnus.  This didn't
SL>     work as it wasn't in the load path.  I therefore moved it to
SL>     d:\emacs\lisp\gnus, where it worked.  How to I get the site-lisp
SL>     directory to add its directories to the load-path?

Kai suggested one mechanism.  I like this one:
(add-hook 'load-path (expand-file-name "d:\\emacs\\site-lisp\\pgnus"))
I don't think you really need the expand-file-name, but it never hurts to
be sure.  Make sure to use double backslashes as singles look like escape
sequences to emacs' string parsing.  The other option is to use forward
slash, as NTemacs understands the difference.

SL> 2.  How do I proceed?  I mean all my old mail, is on c:\emacs\Mail.
SL>     Shall I just copy my .emacs and .gnus here copy my Mail from
SL>     within Gnus or will this cause problems?

There will be a lot of differences between versions of Gnus, so blindly
copying .gnus may not work too well.

SL> 3.  How do I find out what variables have changes etc?  for instance I
SL>     now get prompted for a POP password with nnmail.  I am sure there
SL>     are some things in my .gnus and .emacs that are obsolete, because
SL>     I have had problems in the past, migrating to pgnus.

To be thorough, you can load gnus and then C-h v on each variable in your
initialization routines.  A better bet is to create the minimal
installation for Gnus (define a gnus-select-method) and add customization
as you need it.

Since you were running a mail method, you will want to look at the
information on mail-source.  To get rolling with nnml, I think you need the
something like the following (assuming nnml and a POP connection for mail):
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")
      mail-sources '((pop :server "chevax.ecs.umass.edu"
                   	  :user "jvinson"
                          :password "secret"    ; Only use this if you want
                                                ; to store your password
			)))

Mail-sources lets you have multiple sources for mail.

Have fun!