* Using epopmail for nnmail-movemail-program
@ 1998-11-02 19:19 Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1998-11-02 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have been successfully using Franklin Lee's extension to pop3.el for
retrieving my mail from a POP server.  However, there is one thing
happening that we don't know how to fix.

Whenever I try to type ahead, the code getting mail mail "stops" and gives
me the following message in the minibuffer:

	movemail: (error "Process POP not running") (255 return). Continue?
	(yes or no)

This happens if I try to type my password in advance, or if I try to hit
some movement keys while epopmail is retrieving the mail.

Does Gnus do something special with keyboard input while the
nnmail-movemail-program is running?

This is in Gnus 5.6.43.

--
Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu>    http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~vinson/
Zippy: I want the presidency so bad I can already taste the hors d'oeuvres.

* Re: Using epopmail for nnmail-movemail-program
@ 1998-11-03 14:11 ` Jari Aalto+list.ding
From: Jari Aalto+list.ding @ 1998-11-03 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

| 1998-11-02 Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu> list.ding
| I have been successfully using Franklin Lee's extension to pop3.el for
| retrieving my mail from a POP server.  However, there is one thing
| happening that we don't know how to fix.
|
| Whenever I try to type ahead, the code getting mail mail "stops" and gives
| me the following message in the minibuffer:
|
|       movemail: (error "Process POP not running") (255 return). Continue?
|       (yes or no)

I integrated my remote POP mailboxes to epop3 too and I get similar
errors from time to time. I have not yet figured out what cauises it.
I just lay low for a while and try to connect later and then it works.
It may very well be a problem with POP server.

jari

* Re: Using epopmail for nnmail-movemail-program
@ 1998-11-03 15:06   ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1998-11-03 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

JA> I integrated my remote POP mailboxes to epop3 too and I get similar
JA> errors from time to time. I have not yet figured out what cauises it.
JA> I just lay low for a while and try to connect later and then it works.
JA> It may very well be a problem with POP server.

I thought this might be the case too, but when I use movemail as my
nnmail-movemail-program there are no problems.  I can type ahaed my
POP password before emacs asks for it, and I can hit movement keys while my
messages are being downloaded.

Franklin Lee thought there might be some special keystroke handling
routines in Gnus that were killing epop.  Is it possible?  Movemail is an
external program and epop is written entirely in elisp and could be
interacting strangely with some other settings.

--
Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu>    http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~vinson/
Zippy: ..  are the STEWED PRUNES still in the HAIR DRYER?