From: Jack Vinson <vinson@unagi.cis.upenn.edu>
Subject: mail digests
Date: 15 Jul 1999 16:23:56 -0500	[thread overview]

For the first time ever, I have discovered that Gnus failed to parse a mail
digest correctly.  Actually, this isn't completely true.  It is my hack
that has somehow failed to correctly dump the mail to where it belongs.

The mailing list sends out fairly standard digests.  When I Ctrl-d on the
digest, it shows me all the messages (I just checked) and none are
missing.  However, when I run the cute little code below to slurp all the
messages back into the main folder some of the messages disappear.
Actually, the message file (nnml) is created, but it has zero size.

This function creates a doc group for all the process-marked digests and
then copies all the messages back into the original group.  If I see the
message when viewing the digest, shouldn't I also see the message after it
gets copied back?  Strange.  Is there an easier/better way to do this?

(defun jmv-gnus-summary-slurp-digest (n)
  "Function to open a digest and transfer all the articles to the group
from which the digest was opened.  This function respects the process argument.
Future: may want to let this take a prefix to specify to which group
the articles should be copied."
  (interactive "P")
  ;; These are here to keep Gnus from working too hard
  (let ((group gnus-newsgroup-name)
	(jmv-do-not-select t)
	(gnus-select-group-hook nil)
	(gnus-summary-generate-hook nil)
	(gnus-large-newsgroup 10000)
	)
    ;; Enter the digest, copy the articles, exit the digest.
    (gnus-summary-read-document n)
    (gnus-summary-copy-article 10000 group)
    (gnus-summary-exit)
    )
  ;; Exit the group and reenter the group
  (let ((gnus-large-newsgroup 10000))
    (gnus-summary-reselect-current-group nil nil)
    )
  )

Jack Vinson