* smtpmail-send-it ?
@ 1999-09-22 18:03 David Coe
From: David Coe @ 1999-09-22 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying to change my gnus to (temporarily) send mail
via smtp using another host rather than the local host,
so I can screw with the local MTA and still be able to
use gnus...  I find:

message-send-mail-function's value is
message-send-mail-with-sendmail

Documentation:
Function to call to send the current buffer as mail.
The headers should be delimited by a line whose contents match the
variable `mail-header-separator'.

Valid values include `message-send-mail-with-sendmail' (the default),
`message-send-mail-with-mh', `message-send-mail-with-qmail' and
`smtpmail-send-it'.

but I can't find 'smtpmail-send-it' -- is that what I want?
If not, any idea how to make gnus use a non-local MTA when
sending mail?

Thanks.

* Re: smtpmail-send-it ?
@ 1999-09-22 18:30 ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1999-09-22 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

(require 'smtpmail) and you'll find it.  I use it on my box at home,
which is powered off right now, or I'd include my configuration.
There were only a couple of variables to set as I recall; a quick read
of the source should probably give you all you need.
--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B325\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730

* Re: smtpmail-send-it ?
@ 1999-09-23 10:36 ` Mats Lvfdahl
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Mats Lvfdahl @ 1999-09-23 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Coe <david@someotherplace.org> writes:

> I'm trying to change my gnus to (temporarily) send mail via smtp
> using another host rather than the local host...

Would you post a description once you have something working?  I've
been wanting to do this for some time but lacking the elisp skills I
haven't made any progress.

Thanks.

--
Mats Löfdahl

* Re: smtpmail-send-it ?
@ 1999-09-23 10:53   ` Norbert Koch
From: Norbert Koch @ 1999-09-23 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

In message <sgpuz97w4t.fsf@royac6.astro.su.se>,
"Mats Lvfdahl" <mats@astro.su.se> wrote:

> Would you post a description once you have something working?  I've
> been wanting to do this for some time but lacking the elisp skills I
> haven't made any progress.

Try something like this (change according to your environment):

(require 'smtpmail)
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.eai-delta.de"
      smtpmail-local-domain "eai-delta.de"
      smtpmail-debug-info t)

hth, norbert.

* Re: smtpmail-send-it ?
@ 1999-09-23 13:09   ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1999-09-23 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mats> David Coe <david@someotherplace.org> writes:
>> I'm trying to change my gnus to (temporarily) send mail via smtp
>> using another host rather than the local host...

Mats> Would you post a description once you have something working?  I've
Mats> been wanting to do this for some time but lacking the elisp skills I
Mats> haven't made any progress.

The main thing one needs to do is change the smtpmail-smtp-server.  This
variable is set when smtpmail is loaded based on the SMTPSERVER environment
variable or the smtpmail-default-smtp-server variable.  The environment
variable is always selected first.

I have successfully changed smtp servers by simply changing
smtpmail-smtp-server.

--
Jack Vinson
Bart: I will not aim for the head.

* Re: smtpmail-send-it ?
@ 1999-10-04 23:57   ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 1999-10-04 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

"Mats Lvfdahl" <mats@astro.su.se> writes:

> David Coe <david@someotherplace.org> writes:

> > I'm trying to change my gnus to (temporarily) send mail via smtp
> > using another host rather than the local host...

> Would you post a description once you have something working?  I've
> been wanting to do this for some time but lacking the elisp skills I
> haven't made any progress.

Here is what I use.  The setup varies a bit depending on the machine I'm
being on, but for my home machine, it is:

(when (eq HOST 'titan)
  (autoload 'smtpmail-send-it "smtpmail")
  (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
	send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
	smtpmail-local-domain "progiciels-bpi.ca"
	smtpmail-debug-info nil)

  (defun inet-on ()
    (interactive)
    (setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "jupiter.rtsq.qc.ca"
	  smtpmail-smtp-server smtpmail-default-smtp-server))

  (defun inet-off ()
    (interactive)
    (setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "titan.progiciels-bpi.ca"
	  smtpmail-smtp-server smtpmail-default-smtp-server))

  (inet-off))

Once this done, I do `M-x inet-on RET' after having established a PPP
connection, and later, `M-x inet-off RET' after the connection has been
severed, in which case the local MTA manages to spool mail for UUCP.
`smtpmail.el' is used in both cases.

Here is another example of setup, in which `smtpmail.el' is used for the
`inet-on' case, but avoided in the `inet-off' case.

(when (eq HOST 'argon)
  (autoload 'smtpmail-send-it "smtpmail")

  (defun inet-on ()
    (interactive)
    (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
	  send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
	  smtpmail-local-domain "progiciels-bpi.ca"
	  smtpmail-debug-info nil
	  smtpmail-default-smtp-server "jupiter.rtsq.qc.ca"
	  smtpmail-smtp-server smtpmail-default-smtp-server))

  (defun inet-off ()
    (interactive)
    (setq message-send-mail-function 'message-send-mail-with-sendmail
	  send-mail-function 'sendmail-send-it))

  (inet-off))