* a faster Gnus?
@ 2000-04-29 21:09 Jack Vinson
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Jack Vinson @ 2000-04-29 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey Guys,

Someone made a comment a week or two ago that, essentially, Gnus was quite
slow compared to things like MS Outlook or Netscape's messenger.  The
person was talking about picking up mail (POP mail in my case), and thought
it seemed like Gnus was a turtle to these others being the hare.

One thing, as far as mail goes, is that Gnus grabs the entire set of mail
at once before displaying it to the user.  With these other programs, they
seem to grab one at a time - displaying the new messages before all of them
are downloaded.  This may lead to some of the apparent speed.

There are plenty of great things about Gnus, and I would like to continue
using it, but if it is going to be so significantly slower, why bother?

Any thoughts?

--
JackVinson@Yahoo.com
Bart: I will not torment the emotionally frail.