From: Jack Vinson <vinson@unagi.cis.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: gnus-topic-line-format
Date: 25 Nov 1999 11:47:49 -0600	[thread overview]

[...]

[snip hooks to set -line-formats]
AG> When I start Gnus, the topic-line is not formatted the way I specified
AG> in gnus-topic-line-format. However, if I exit and re-enter topic mode
AG> ('t', 't'), then the line is formatted the way I wanted it.

AG> Isn't gnus-topic-mode-hook run the *first* time topic mode is entered?

Yes, but there are funny things with the various -line-format variables.
The help text for gnus-group-line-format says, among other things:

     Also note that if you change the format specification to include any
     of these specs, you must probably re-start Gnus to see them go into
     effect.

This sounds like it refers only to some specific format specifiers.
However, I recall past conversations where the -line-format's only took
hold if you did something special after modifying them.  I couldn't find
anything in a quick review of the -line-format variables.  (There are lots
of them!)

--
Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu>    http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~vinson/
Zippy: That's a decision that can only be made between you & SY SPERLING!!