* broken MIME mail
@ 1999-01-15 23:33 Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1999-01-15 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I recently got a message from someone who's mailer is broken.  It inserted
one of those silly x-vcard's as a MIME attachment, but the main text was
not in a mime "part."  As a result, I could not read the actual text.  The
only thing I got in my article buffer was the button for the text/x-vcard.

It I did Ctrl-D, I kept getting the same thing.  Grr.

Any ideas?  Should I just ignore mail from people who use bad e-mail
software?

The attached message has the problem.  If I save it and then open it as a
doc group, I can never read the actual text.

[-- Attachment #2: problem mail --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 4876 bytes --]

Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 09:49:26 +0900
From: Rafael Batres <rafael@pse.res.titech.ac.jp>
Subject: CAST: Postdoctoral Positions at Tokyo Institute of Technology
Sender: cast10-request@bevo.che.wisc.edu
To: cast10@bevo.che.wisc.edu
Cc: Yuji Naka <ynaka@pse.res.titech.ac.jp>, rafael@pse.res.titech.ac.jp

NOTE: Past postings on the CAST10 Email List are archived on the
      World Wide Web at http://www.che.wisc.edu/cast10

Postdoctoral Research Associates
Research Laboratory of Resources Utilization
Tokyo Institute of Technology

Two postdoctoral research associates positions are available in the
Process Systems Engineering Laboratory at the Research Laboratory of
Resources Utilization, Tokyo Institute of Technology. The openings are
immediate and offered for one year with a possibility of extension. The
particular project involves development of an infrastructure for
supporting concurrent engineering and safety evaluation in process
industries.

Selected candidates will participate in the development and
implementation of information technologies and optimization techniques
for various areas of process systems engineering such as data
sharing/exchange, development of a modeling and simulation system,
operating procedure synthesis, inherently safer design methods, and
planning and supervision of continuous and batch process operations.

Candidates with a Ph.D. in a relevant field, with contributions and
expertise in applications of information technologies (e.g.
object-oriented programming and software agent technology) or rigorous
optimization techniques in the process systems engineering area are
encouraged to apply. In addition, interest in new optimization
techniques (e.g. genetic algorithms, simulated annealing and distributed
optimization) is desirable. The candidates should also prove to have a
good command in English as well as good communication skills. A working
knowledge of Japanese will be helpful for daily life, but is not
essential for the project.

Tokyo Institute of Technology offers a competitive salary and benefits.
Interested candidates should send their resume, with names and addresses
of three professional references preferably by email to:

Professor Yuji Naka
Research Laboratory of Resources Utilization
Tokyo Institute of Technology
Nagatsuta 4259, Midori-ku
Yokohama 226-8503, JAPAN
email: ynaka@pse.res.titech.ac.jp
http://www.pse.res.titech.ac.jp/
tel: +81(45)924-5248
fax: +81(45)924-5276, +81(45)924-5270

--------------426B7D90B13DE70404471B0C

begin:vcard
n:Batres;Rafael
tel;fax:+81(45)924-5270
tel;home:+81(45)911-3836
tel;work:+81(45)924-5271
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.pse.res.titech.ac.jp/~rafael/
org:Tokyo Institute of Technology;Research Laboratory of Resources Utilization
adr:;;4259 Nagatsuta Midori-ku;Yokohama;Kanagawa;226-8503;Japan
version:2.1
email;internet:rafael@pse.res.titech.ac.jp
title:Assistant Professor
x-mozilla-cpt:;-14960
fn:Rafael Batres
end:vcard

Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu>    http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~vinson/
Zippy: I feel like I am sharing a ``CORN-DOG'' with NIKITA KHRUSCHEV..

* Re: broken MIME mail
@ 1999-01-19 16:21 ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1999-01-19 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu> writes:

> I recently got a message from someone who's mailer is broken.  It inserted
> one of those silly x-vcard's as a MIME attachment, but the main text was
> not in a mime "part."  As a result, I could not read the actual text.  The
> only thing I got in my article buffer was the button for the text/x-vcard.
>
> It I did Ctrl-D, I kept getting the same thing.  Grr.

Use `C-u g' to see the article raw if you want to read its contents,
then send the author a nasty piece of mail about their broken mail
client.

--
Justin Sheehy

In a cloud bones of steel.