* Plugged vs. Unplugged (and nnslashdot)
@ 2001-01-18 16:23 Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2001-01-18 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

First the good and easy bit, the recent nnslashdot patch fixed that
problem. Now I know just how much traffic that generates. But that's
my problem.

I'm running 5.8.8 (still not running the CVS version) and I've found
that when I start gnus unplugged (I'm rarely unplugged these days since
I got a cable modem, but I'm travelling this week) it still tries to
connect to all my news servers. Arg. And when I press C-g on the last
one, it quits gnus.

I've got agentize and if I start gnus-unplugged when I'm really plugged
it all works out OK and gnus says "Unplugged" on the mode line.

What fool thing have I done wrong now, folks?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Is your cucumber bitter? Throw it away.
http://nwalsh.com/            | Are there briars in your path? Turn
                              | aside. That is enough. Do not go on to
                              | say, 'Why were things of this sort ever
                              | brought into the world?'--Marcus
                              | Aurelius

* Re: Plugged vs. Unplugged (and nnslashdot)
@ 2001-01-18 16:37 ` Fabrice Gamberini
From: Fabrice Gamberini @ 2001-01-18 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hi,

 I have a question now that nn/. seems to be working. How does one arrange for
 the new /. topics (= groups) to appear in the group buffer without subscribing (ie. "U") to
 them individually ???

thanks

Fabrice

--
Fabrice Gambérini
  -- = Wavecom S.A. = --

* Re: Plugged vs. Unplugged (and nnslashdot)
@ 2001-01-18 17:10   ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-01-18 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fabrice Gamberini <fabrice.gamberini@wavecom.fr> writes:

> Hi,
>
>  I have a question now that nn/. seems to be working. How does one
>  arrange for the new /. topics (= groups) to appear in the group
>  buffer without subscribing (ie. "U") to them individually ???

The info nodes "Slashdot" and "Subscription Methods" will give you the
basic idea.  In short, put (nnslashdot "") into
gnus-secondary-select-methods, set gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method to
'gnus-subscribe-topics and add a `subscribe' topic parameter.

ShengHuo

* Re: Plugged vs. Unplugged (and nnslashdot)
@ 2001-01-18 17:29     ` Fabrice Gamberini
From: Fabrice Gamberini @ 2001-01-18 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    ZSH> Fabrice Gamberini <fabrice.gamberini@wavecom.fr> writes:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a question now that nn/. seems to be working. How does one
    >> arrange for the new /. topics (= groups) to appear in the group
    >> buffer without subscribing (ie. "U") to them individually ???

    ZSH> The info nodes "Slashdot" and "Subscription Methods" will give you the
    ZSH> basic idea.  In short, put (nnslashdot "") into
    ZSH> gnus-secondary-select-methods, set gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method to
    ZSH> 'gnus-subscribe-topics and add a `subscribe' topic parameter.

Though I don't seem to have the relevant info nodes, your description was
enough to get me started. wonderful ( if that can be applied to /. )  ...

Thanks .

Fabrice.