From: Jack Vinson <vinson@unagi.cis.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: gnus-summary-make-false-root 'adopt
Date: 27 Jul 1999 11:27:28 -0500	[thread overview]

KG> Jack Vinson <vinson@unagi.cis.upenn.edu> writes:
>> However, with one of my mailing lists that I get in digest mode, the
>> messages are collected in reverse order in the Digest.  As a result, the
>> actual thread head is /after/ the replies when I open the digest.  As a
>> result, Gnus simply makes one of the replies the adopted parent.

KG> Can you set gnus-article-sort-functions to (gnus-article-sort-by-date)
KG> in the digest group and does that solve your problem?

What does this do for threading?  I have been using the
gnus-thread-sort-functions.  If I change the thread sort functions from
number and subject to date and subject, the problem doesn't seem to correct
itself.  I am setting this variable in my gnus-summary-generate-hook, which
appears to be the correct place to do such things.

The article numbers and dates are

Article 12947, Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 20:49:19 -0700
               Subject: Re: BikeBrain Software
Article 12948, Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 00:03:56 -0600
               Subject: BikeBrain Software
Article 12949, Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 10:18:17 -0500

And I am always getting sorted by article number, rather than date.  As you
can see, it should be 12948 that gets sorted first.

When does the Thread Gathering take place?  Gnus seems to be doing this
before it worries about things like sorting the threads.  If so, sorting by
date will not affect the order of articles within a given thread (or which
thread is the parent).

--
Jack Vinson