* Group Param on IMAP group
@ 2000-02-02  0:22 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-02-02  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I recently started getting one group from an IMAP server running
Cyrus software.  I had this same group as a normal nnml group before
and still do for now.

I've  moved the Group Parameters from the nnml group to the
IMAP group bodily.

On pressing `G p' on the IMAP group I find gnus has alread inserted a
group param:

((uidvalidity . "949203895"))

I lopped one paren off and added my own stuff below:
((uidvalidity . "949203895")
   (to-address . "lula@onelist.com")
   (banner . "^--+ ONElist Sponsor --+\n\n\\(.\\|\n\\)*"))

Anyone know what the gnus insert means?  This server has an anonymous
login.

* Re: Group Param on IMAP group
@ 2000-02-02 10:47 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-02-02 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Anyone know what the gnus insert means?  This server has an
> anonymous login.

It is possible to identify a message by id, but the ids may change.  I
think the idea is to have article numbers, and these can change when
you delete a message in the middle of a folder.

So the IMAP server is required to tell you a `uidvalidity' value, and
as long as that value is the same, the old article numbers are still
valid.  When the uidvalidity value changes, the article numbers may
have changed, as well.

I think.

kai

* Re: Group Param on IMAP group