* Group parameters and Custom?
@ 1999-12-05 15:34 Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1999-12-05 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, one of the many problems I had last night was with
gnus-subscribe-topics.  I happened to set the group-parameter of the topic
incorrectly and got a backtrace when Gnus attempted to look at the
parameters of that topic.

As a new feature, is there any chance that Gnus can do a better job of
helping with group parameters?  It should have at least tried to parse the
parameter I gave it:
        '(subscribe "nnslashdot")
and told me this was the wrong format.  Or are there simply too many
options for group parameters to be able to quickly check syntax?

What about a Custom interface which shows all the settings Gnus knows about
for a group or topic?  If the user doesn't have a particular option in her
group parameters it should be "greyed out" with the default value
indicated.  ("Default" could be global setting in her .gnus that is
different from the Gnus default.)

Is this silly?

--
Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu>    http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~vinson/
Zippy: America!!  I saw it all!!  Vomiting!  Waving!  JERRY FALWELLING into

* Re: Group parameters and Custom?
@ 1999-12-05 23:10 ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1999-12-05 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would like to follow up to my own message and just say that I had
COMPLETELY forgotten about gnus-group-customize, bound to 'G c'.  However,
it still wouldn't have fixed my original problem with the subscribe
variable because that is not part of the default customize stuff.

--
Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu>    http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~vinson/
Zippy: I'm not available for comment..

* Re: Group parameters and Custom?
@ 1999-12-06 13:15   ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1999-12-06 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack Vinson <vinson@unagi.cis.upenn.edu> writes:

> However, it still wouldn't have fixed my original problem with the
> subscribe variable because that is not part of the default customize
> stuff.

Huh?  `Subscribe' is the last of the "regular" entries in the buffer
you get when you press `G c' on a topic.

* Re: Group parameters and Custom?
@ 1999-12-07  3:56     ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1999-12-07  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

PA> Jack Vinson <vinson@unagi.cis.upenn.edu> writes:
>> However, it still wouldn't have fixed my original problem with the
>> subscribe variable because that is not part of the default customize
>> stuff.

PA> Huh?  `Subscribe' is the last of the "regular" entries in the buffer
PA> you get when you press `G c' on a topic.

Okay, how did I miss that entry to begin with?  I think I had forgotten
about 'G c' and screwed around with 'G p' before getting everything right.
Now I see the light.  Lars really does know what he is doing, doesn't he?

--
Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu>    http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~vinson/
Zippy: Spreading peanut butter reminds me of opera!!  I wonder why?