* Re: gnus-summary-make-false-root 'adopt
@ 1999-07-16 21:12 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-07-16 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack Vinson <vinson@unagi.cis.upenn.edu> writes:

> However, with one of my mailing lists that I get in digest mode, the
> messages are collected in reverse order in the Digest.  As a result, the
> actual thread head is /after/ the replies when I open the digest.  As a
> result, Gnus simply makes one of the replies the adopted parent.

Can you set gnus-article-sort-functions to (gnus-article-sort-by-date)
in the digest group and does that solve your problem?

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* gnus-summary-make-false-root 'adopt
@ 1999-07-17 19:43 Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1999-07-17 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

>From the documentation on this variable, I have set it to 'adopt so that
Gnus will collect a thread together and make one of the members the parent
when there is no obvious parent.

However, with one of my mailing lists that I get in digest mode, the
messages are collected in reverse order in the Digest.  As a result, the
actual thread head is /after/ the replies when I open the digest.  As a
result, Gnus simply makes one of the replies the adopted parent.

Is there any way for Gnus to use a message without "^Re:" as the parent of
the thread?  It would be really cool for Gnus to revert to 'dummy if there
is no apparent parent message, but I can live without that.  I don't like
the 'dummy or 'none behaviors because the problem is exactly the same.  The
messages are still listed in the order that they arrived.

Thanks,
Jack

* Re: gnus-summary-make-false-root 'adopt
@ 1999-07-27 12:26     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-07-27 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> KG> Can you set gnus-article-sort-functions to (gnus-article-sort-by-date)
> KG> in the digest group and does that solve your problem?
>
> What does this do for threading?  I have been using the
> gnus-thread-sort-functions.

Oh, yes, of course you should be using gnus-thread-sort-functions.
As to why it doesn't work -- I'm afraid I don't know.  I've never
really tried it.

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: gnus-summary-make-false-root 'adopt
@ 1999-07-27 16:27   ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1999-07-27 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

KG> Jack Vinson <vinson@unagi.cis.upenn.edu> writes:
>> However, with one of my mailing lists that I get in digest mode, the
>> messages are collected in reverse order in the Digest.  As a result, the
>> actual thread head is /after/ the replies when I open the digest.  As a
>> result, Gnus simply makes one of the replies the adopted parent.

KG> Can you set gnus-article-sort-functions to (gnus-article-sort-by-date)
KG> in the digest group and does that solve your problem?

What does this do for threading?  I have been using the
gnus-thread-sort-functions.  If I change the thread sort functions from
number and subject to date and subject, the problem doesn't seem to correct
itself.  I am setting this variable in my gnus-summary-generate-hook, which
appears to be the correct place to do such things.

The article numbers and dates are

Article 12947, Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 20:49:19 -0700
               Subject: Re: BikeBrain Software
Article 12948, Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 00:03:56 -0600
               Subject: BikeBrain Software
Article 12949, Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 10:18:17 -0500

And I am always getting sorted by article number, rather than date.  As you
can see, it should be 12948 that gets sorted first.

When does the Thread Gathering take place?  Gnus seems to be doing this
before it worries about things like sorting the threads.  If so, sorting by
date will not affect the order of articles within a given thread (or which
thread is the parent).

--
Jack Vinson

* Re: gnus-summary-make-false-root 'adopt
@ 1999-07-28 20:34 ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1999-07-28 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Jack Vinson <vinson@unagi.cis.upenn.edu> writes:
JV> However, with one of my mailing lists that I get in digest mode, the
JV> messages are collected in reverse order in the Digest.  As a result, the
JV> actual thread head is /after/ the replies when I open the digest.  As a
JV> result, Gnus simply makes one of the replies the adopted parent.

I've discovered the source of the problem I am having.  The real solution
is to create a new variable with a name like
gnus-thread-gathered-threads-sort-functions which is similar to
gnus-thread-sort-functions.

This function is defined in gnus-sum:
(defun gnus-sort-gathered-threads (threads)
  "Sort subtreads inside each gathered thread by article number."
  (let ((result threads))
    (while threads
      (when (stringp (caar threads))
	(setcdr (car threads)
		(sort (cdar threads) 'gnus-thread-sort-by-number)))
      (setq threads (cdr threads)))
    result))

Obviously, each subthread is sorted by its article number.  If I change
this to sort by date, then my specific problem disappears.

Is a new variable even useful here, or should I just make the change in my
own code?

--
Jack Vinson
Zippy: I haven't been married in over six years, but we had sexual counseling