* using pop3.el instead of
@ 1997-04-04 19:21 Steinar Bang
       [not found] ` <r9q67y21kip.fsf@teapotdome.cs.washington.edu>
From: Steinar Bang @ 1997-04-04 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Platform: UltraSPARC, Solaris 2.5.1, xemacs-19.34

Neither the Gnus manual, nor the Gnus FAQ, is very helpful on how to
go about using pop3.el instead of movemail.

I've just compiled xemacs-19.35, without whatever configure option
that turns on pop support in movemail, appearently.  At least the
setup that works on 19.34 doesn't work here.

I tried a quick "fix" consisting of copying the 19.34 movemail in over
the Xemacs 19.15 movemail... that didn't work.  Movemail appearently
complains about the response from the POP server.

Since I am messing about, I might as well try this pop3.el
thingy... but how...?

Rich...?  Maybe an entry for the FAQ, or something...?

Thanx!

- Steinar

* Re: using pop3.el instead of
@ 1997-04-04 23:09 ` Stainless Steel Rat
       [not found] ` <r9q67y21kip.fsf@teapotdome.cs.washington.edu>
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1997-04-04 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
PGP Key: at a key server near you! \

* Re: using pop3.el instead of
       [not found] ` <r9q67y21kip.fsf@teapotdome.cs.washington.edu>
@ 1997-04-06 17:06   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1997-04-06 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Did you preserve the permissions on movemail when you did the copy?

Seems like thy were:
	/opt/pub/lib/xemacs-19.15/sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1% ll movemail
	-rwxr-xr-x   1 sb       sysadm     17448 Apr  4 20:49 movemail
	/opt/pub/lib/xemacs-19.15/sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1% cd /opt/pub/libexec/emacs/19.34/sparc-sun-solaris2.4/
	/opt/pub/libexec/emacs/19.34/sparc-sun-solaris2.4% ll movemail
	-rwxr-xr-x   1 sb       sysadm     17448 Mar 11 08:48 movemail

> You might try symlinking instead.

I might try that, even though I doubt it'll make any difference.

You may be onto something, though... I had similar behaviour to the
current Xemacs behaviour, in 19.34 on Ultrix 4.4.

> Lykke til,

Takk!

- Steinar

* Re: using pop3.el instead of
@ 1997-04-06 18:00   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1997-04-06 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

SB> Neither the Gnus manual, nor the Gnus FAQ, is very helpful on how to
SB> go about using pop3.el instead of movemail.

> (setq nnmail-movemail-program 'nnmail-pop3-movemail)

> That's it.  Everything should just work at that point if you are
> properly set up to get mail from a POP maildrop.

Hm... this makes Gnus come up with the following, after first reading
the active file from the primary news server, and then prompting for
my pop password:

Signaling: (wrong-type-argument stringp nnmail-pop3-movemail)
  expand-file-name(nnmail-pop3-movemail "/opt/pub/libexec/emacs/19.34/sparc-sun-solaris2.4/")
  nnmail-move-inbox("po:sb")
  nnmail-get-new-mail(nnml nnml-save-nov "~/Mail/" nil)
  nnml-request-scan(nil "")
  gnus-request-scan(nil (nnml ""))
  gnus-read-active-file()
  gnus-setup-news(nil nil nil)
  byte-code("\b„\x0e
  gnus(nil)
  call-interactively(gnus)
  execute-extended-command(nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command)

Checking the value of nnmail-pop3-movemail.  Not a function, not a
variable.  Is a
	(require 'pop3)
necessary somewhere?

Hm... maybe if I try
	(setq nnmail-movemail-program pop3-movemail)
instead...?

* Re: using pop3.el instead of
@ 1997-04-06 18:10   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1997-04-06 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

SB> Neither the Gnus manual, nor the Gnus FAQ, is very helpful on how to
SB> go about using pop3.el instead of movemail.

> (setq nnmail-movemail-program 'nnmail-pop3-movemail)

> That's it.  Everything should just work at that point if you are
> properly set up to get mail from a POP maildrop.

Please disregard an earlier error report on this!

It works fine on GNU Emacs 19.34, Gnus 5.4.25, except that my current
variable settings asks me for my password twice (once for movemail
presumably, and once for pop3.  Any tips as to how to get rid of one
of them?).

Trying to accomodate Xemacs, I had temporarily removed Gnus 5.4.25
from the load-path of GNU Emacs 19.34, so I was running 5.3 there
instead (what exactly are the incompatibles of .elc files of Xemacs
19.15 and GNU Emacs 19.34?  Do the latter need Lars' patches to
coexist?).

I would very much like to share elisp between the two.

- Steinar

* Re: using pop3.el instead of
@ 1997-04-06 19:02     ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1997-04-06 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

> Trying to accomodate Xemacs, I had temporarily removed Gnus 5.4.25
> from the load-path of GNU Emacs 19.34, so I was running 5.3 there
> instead (what exactly are the incompatibles of .elc files of Xemacs
> 19.15 and GNU Emacs 19.34?  Do the latter need Lars' patches to
> coexist?).

The best way to share Lisp code between the two is to byte-compile in
XEmacs.  This may sound XEmacs-centric, but it's not intended to be.
Emacs 19.35 and XEmacs 19.15 will be better at sharing byte-code, I
think.

Another reason not to use Gnus 5.3 in XEmacs is that you don't get the
toolbar and icons and all the gooey stuff.

I byte-compile Gnus with XEmacs, and can run it from GNU Emacs
normally.  But then again, XEmacs is my regular environment, so I'm
biased. :-(

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

* Re: using pop3.el instead of
@ 1997-04-07  7:21     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1997-04-07  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

SB> Neither the Gnus manual, nor the Gnus FAQ, is very helpful on how to
SB> go about using pop3.el instead of movemail.

>> (setq nnmail-movemail-program 'nnmail-pop3-movemail)

>> That's it.  Everything should just work at that point if you are
>> properly set up to get mail from a POP maildrop.

> Please disregard an earlier error report on this!

> It works fine on GNU Emacs 19.34, Gnus 5.4.25, except that my
> current variable settings asks me for my password twice (once for
> movemail presumably, and once for pop3.  Any tips as to how to get
> rid of one of them?).

Actually, it asks for the password every time it wants to do a pop
retrieval.

Also, something in the combination
	UoW POP3 server (from the 4.1 BETA imap distribution), Xemacs
        19.15, Gnus 5.4 (the one with xemacs) and pop3.el for mail
        retrival
ended up concatenating incoming messages together into one message (in
"mbox" format... well, they were separated by "From" lines...).

Since I've spent a good part of this morning manually splitting
messages and respooling them, I'm now back in GNU Emacs 19.34, Gnus
5.4.25, POP with movemail, and reluctant to experiment to find out
what the culprit actually is.

- Steinar

* Re: using pop3.el instead of
@ 1997-04-07  8:20       ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-04-07  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Steinar> Also, something in the combination
  Steinar> UoW POP3 server (from the 4.1 BETA imap distribution),
  Steinar>         Xemacs 19.15, Gnus 5.4 (the one with xemacs) and
  Steinar>         pop3.el for mail retrival
  Steinar> ended up concatenating incoming messages together into one
  Steinar> message (in "mbox" format... well, they were separated by
  Steinar> "From" lines...).

Recent versions of Gnus require "\n\nFrom " as message separator
rather than "\nFrom ".  Maybe something needs to tack on a "\n" to the
end of each mail?  Normal movemail doesn't have this problem because
it writes babyl format when reading POP3 where the "\n" isn't needed.

Does this help?
kai
--
A large number of young women don't trust men with beards.
(BFBS Radio)

* Re: using pop3.el instead of
@ 1997-04-07 16:32     ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1997-04-07 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Ingredients of Happy Fun Ball include an
PGP Key: at a key server near you! \ unknown glowing substance which fell to

* Re: using pop3.el instead of
@ 1997-04-07 16:38       ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1997-04-07 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)